Religious charity refuses to hand out water to hurricane victims

I personally think that your hate for religion is arbitrary and based upon a profound ignorance.

You of course are free to hate the vast majority of the people on the planet, but I don’t think that this is a compelling argument to do so.

1. Jesus was roundly against the behavior that this pastor displayed. So they failed at Christianity.
  2. Christ made a very storied career of throwing people like this out of the temple.
  3. Not all religious people are Christian.

So from what I can tell, you are casting a wide net to hate people based upon complete ignorance even of the minority for which you are condemning the majority. So your hate comes from ignorance, as in my experience, all hate does.

Erek

If two separate news stories(one with film) isn’t confirmation, what would be? :confused:

Well, I heard/saw the ‘mass rapes in the SuperDome’ story on several news organizations, and some had video to accompany it. It’s entirely possible that both those stories were sourced from the same flawed source, or that one got it from the other.

No offense to the mods intended, but is anyone else amused that two mods commented previously to this post, and neither one noticed the copyright violation?

Metacom, given he was a pastor, handing out water for the SBC charities, I think it’s safe to say he’s a representative thereof. From what I gather, individual pastors and such have more autonomy than say, your head parish priest.

I’m not Christian, but Matthew 25 seems to me just absolutely central to Jesus’ message. Of all the things he said, this seems like the best summation of his teachings, and I find it beautiful and inspiring whatever its origins. It’s so depressing how often the ultra-Right manages to completely skip out on this page in their Bibles.

very funny
I think if JC had a sense of humor he would have changed it into Boones Farm Or Night Train :slight_smile: better yet Schlitz malt Liquer

Technically, wouldn’t they be not getting a taste of their own medicine?

You know once a black guy decided to put a gun to my best friends head and rape his date. If I decided to despise black people because of the actions of that man, what would that make me?
Yes this pastor was a pious stupid ass but that doesn’t justify your ignorant bigotry.

There’s no reason to assume that the people who came went away with *no *water. {other than your unreasonable bigotry}

There’s no reason to assume that they gave it out later because of shame
{other than your unreasonable bigotry}

Pastors or people who act like this piss me off too but you ignore all the religious people and groups that were there helping to single out this one incident and issue a blanket condemnation. Sir, you are no differnt or better than this pastor. Even being an ignorent pious ass he was down there actually in service helping people.

What have you done??

We’re sometimes a little careful of taking actions in another mod’s forum.

Though I’ll sometimes edit the coding in a thread that I’m following. Problem with that is then I feel obligated to edit all the bad coding in that thread, so maybe I’ll quit it.

Let’s hope they are very very thirsty and the only thing to drink is a few cases of Budwiser :smiley: Then a camera crew catches them chugging a few and briadcasts it to the other members of the SBC. Sweeeett.

In reviewing the article and the video I have to wonder if they had other options for water to hand out so decided to not pass out the AB water. Neither the article nor the video makes it clear. It’s still offensive but a lot less offensive if that’s the case. It makes for a much more interesting story to leave that tidbit out. DId the media leave out this detail intentionally to make the story better?

Any guesses or evidence.

Actually, that would be my bet. Mainly because I can’t see anybody being stupid/cruel/asshole enough to deny people water just because it was sent by a brewery.

Well, I actually don’t find it unbelieveable that certain religious groups or individuals would rationalize and say “Hey at least they’re getting food. They can get their water elsewhere” It’s just the way the article read and the nature of the edited video that made me suspiciious. It seems if they hadn’t been giving out any water at all the media would have said it clearly. Instead they imply it without coming right out and lying. I’d be interested in knowing for sure.

WHAT?! Cite please?
I thought the SA were the fucking good guys! I find it really, really hard to believe that they would refuse to aid gay people. I could see them refusing to accept gay volunteers, but this is just… :eek: :frowning:

Suspected of the Gay?? What is that exactly?

What would it take to suspect someone of being gay? If they came in Gay parade costume? I’d be interested in a cite for thai as well.

<snip>

The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest Protestant Denomination in the United States with 16 million members. It’s Center is located in Nashville (actually Brentwood) Tennessee. So when the poorly written article said that the group was from Alabama, it must have been referring to a group of volunteers from a Baptist Church.

False. Baptists make it a point not to be governed by a central organization. Individual churches are self-governing. That has led in recent years to the rise of some liberal Baptist churches. (Who would have thunk it?) The SBC is reacting to that by circling the wagons and (pardon me, Floridians) hunkering down into their anti-freedom of everything positions. Membership in Baptist churches is dropping and large groups of churches are deciding to withdraw from the Convention. Good for them!

The SBC Center is located only a few miles from my house. I am wondering if they had anything to do with the censoring of Tom Brokaw’s Dateline program about evangelical Christians – In God They Trust. Here in Nashville it was shown only at 3:35 a.m. In the scheduled time slot we were treated to a program with Franklin Graham. :rolleyes:

Those quotes were made is response to the SA refusing to comply with any proposed law requiring firms that do business with New York to offer health benefits to the partners of gay staffers. It isn’t them refusing aid to people if they are gay.

Although, they are “threatening to close soup kitchens for tens of thousands of New York’s homeless and walk away from other projects if the city enacts legislation requiring firms that do business with New York to offer health benefits to the partners of gay staffers.”

Nothing to do with hurricanes. But, they are threating to stop aid to all the people in NY who use their soup kitchens, gay or not I guess, if the legislation passes. Not cool.

Um, no. It’s not safe to say that.

Read a bit about the Southern Baptist Convention. It makes absolutely no sense, based on the quotes in that article, to say that the priest in question was speaking for the SBC as a whole.

Greetings fellow Nashvillian. I wondered where that program went. I tried to look for it and gave up thinking I must have gotten the date wrong. Did you watch it? If so what was it;s theme? What did you think?

Thanks for the facts. I’m confused though. Is there medical coverage unmarried hetero couples? If so then certainly gay couples should be included. If not then this new law should include all unmarried couples shouldn’t it?