Religious charity refuses to hand out water to hurricane victims

Here’s a picture of one of the cans. They’re distributed by The Anheuser-Busch Foundation.

A-B does an amazing amount of extremely diverse charitable and environmental work throughout the country.

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/Citizenship/MakingFriends.pdf

Since we know is a Baptist, it makes no sense to say he is a priest.

Since we know he is a Baptist, that is

avoiding the actual point made by nit picking. Nice going.

The SA is primarily a church which does humanitarian aid. A lot of cities utilize the SA as a channel for public aid because the SA is already set up to deliver that aid. However, the SA is resisting selling-out its religious convictions to the demands of the state. If the state wants to defund the SA over that issue, then the state can set up its own aid-delivery system. Basically, it comes down to- does the state need the SA or does the SA need the state? I bet the state gives in.

I apologized to non-Christians because, as evidenced by the OP itself, some people are going to read about this pastor’s actions and think they’re typical of all Christians. I consider it part of my duty to God to correct such impressions, and my priest backs me on it. I told a few people at church about this story, and they were as flabbergasted by it as I was. Is it arrogance to think I’m serving God by telling people not all Christians are like this? Yes. By my beliefs, it’s arrogance to presume I know what pleases God and I succeed in doing so. Nevertheless, I serve Him as best I can and hope I don’t get it too wrong.

I’m not a better Christian than anyone else. I daily in loving my neighbor as myself, and, no doubt, when I’m surrounded by rush hour traffic, I’ll fail at it again, especially if I find myself stuck behind someone who wants to go significantly slower than the person behind me wants to go.

I’m also acutely aware, even as I type, that when I feel obligated to point out that the actions of this pastor are specifically condemned in the Bible, the emotions I’m feeling, including the outrage, are probably nearly identical to those felt by someone who comes on this board and speaks of the evils of homosexuality or who condemns non-Christians to eternal torment. I’m no better than them.

All I can do is point out why this pastor’s actions go against what I believe as a Christian and give people the reasons I believe this, including citing the chapter and verses behind my beliefs. I still find this pastor’s actions outrageous, as do other members of my church.

CJ

That’s helpful but doesn’t answer thge question. I was asking about the law being passed not the SA.

And then this happened:

Utterly bizarre event? Truly, but one that happened soon after the unchristian snubbing described by the OP. Odd, that.

Not really. A lot of Christians have died since that incident, and it ain’t even over yet.

I wish we could get your message out to more people. Sadly, the ones who need to hear it most probably wouldn’t listen anyway.

That was meant as a facetious remark.
Metacom’s point is correct, of course, and I thought he made it strongly enough that he didn’t need me to carry his water for him.
I did think it was mildly ironic that in a post proving that the SBC is decentralized, he gave one of its members the title of a cleric of that most centralized of Christian denominations.

I agree that it’s not clear that the folks in line were completely denied water, or that the Baptists just refused to give out that particular delivery of water.

Jesus also said to do anything to avoid sin, including cutting off your hand or plucking out your eye. If you honestly believe that, through the actions of your private organization, publicizing a business that you feel is doing something immoral is immmoral, you couldn’t in good conscience do it.

A-B is not being completely charitable, since they are publishing their name on the cans, which is perfectly understandable, just don’t expect everyone to help spread that around. I could make various extreme analogies but I don’t want to go overboard. :slight_smile:
Unrelatedly, I hate the taste of water and the idea of it in a can is doubly horrible. This thread is making me slightly nauseous.