Remakes of Comedies as Dramas

Most remakes (all that I can think of, with one exception) are remakes of dramas as dramas, or remakes of dramas as comedies.

Have there been any remakes of comedies as dramas?

I am aware of the series “The Brady’s” which tried to tell stories about the family from The Brady Bunch as drama instead of comedy.

Any others, though? Hopefully better attempts?

Today I was thinking it would be fun to rewrite some old comedies as dramas. The Honeymooners, Hogan’s Heroes, My Favorite Martian, are the three that come to mind.

I was even thinking F-Troop could be done sort of this way, though it would have to be a story along the lines of Catch-22 or something like that, so that would be a sort of dark comedy, rather than a straight drama. But I mean to include the possibility of dark comedy in the kind of drama I’m thinking of. I mean, that’s basically what you get when you combine the absurdity of a sitcom premise with any attempt at serious plotting.

Has something like this ever been done? Successfully?

-FrL-

Trapper John, MD. Trapper from MASH becomes annoying Pernell Roberts.

This isn’t quite the same thing, but the character of Lou Grant went from the comedy program The Mary Tyler Moore Show to the drama program Lou Grant.

I kinda get the impression that people who watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer weren’t tuning in in the hope that they’d be treated to more PeeWee Herman dying in an alley.

And… that’s a whoosh.

What’s the story behind your comment?

-FrL-

Hogan’s Heroes was essentially a comic remake of
Stalag 17 , a drama with comedic moments.

Tim Burton’s Batman was arguably a less-comedic remake of Adam West’s.

Mayberry RFD was intended as a continuation of The Andy Griffith Show. IMDB calls it a comedy, but I remember differently.

That’s an interesting idea. When I was a kid, I remember people around me thinking of Burton’s Batman as being in some way a complete rejection of the TV series. But come to think of it, many of the TV series’ elements are there in Burton’s film.

But I never followed the comics, so I don’t know what to chalk up to the Batman mythos in general and what to chalk up to the series, if anything.

-FrL-

The referenced scene was in the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Paul Rubens played one of the vampires, and he spent…probably about 5 miniutes, total, dying after he got staked. Really over-acted.

The TV series wasn’t nearly that ridiculous. (Which is part of why Joss wanted to do the series - the movie was yanked rather further along the ‘silly’ axis than he’d wanted.)