Remebering 9/11

I was originally going to post this in the thread Everything Changed- A 9/11 World Trade Centers Narrative http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=275468 but did not know if it would be appropriate because the moods are different.

Remembering 9/11
Just a little background:
On December 31, 2000, my then girlfriend now wife, found out she was pregnant. I was awash in turbulent emotions. I was not ready to be a father and in fact, I did not think that I would ever have children. Needless to say, this was an emotional time for me. But as time went by I grew to love the person that I had not even met yet.

Ok, now,fast forward.

My daughter’s due date was 9/4/01 but she seemed to be comfortable where she was and the doctor scheduled my wife to be induced a week later.

When we had gotten to the hospital and went the labor/delivery floor, we noticed that there were no nurses. We thought that was a little peculiar. As we approached the nurse’s station, we noticed that all the nurses were in one of the rooms watching TV. One of the nurses came out to check us in. I asked what was going on and she told us that a plane hit the World Trade Center. In my mind, I was thinking that it was a small plane like a Cessna or something. My wife and I went into the labor room and I turned on the TV. While my wife was in the bathroom getting changed, I saw footage of a plane turning and hitting a tower. I saw then that it was a passenger plane but because the towers are so large, I thought it was a 727 or something. Of course this is not something that you see every day and I thought that it was amazing that someone actually got footage of it. The camera panned back and I then saw that the other tower was on fire. Then in my mind I thought, ok it must have been that the other tower was on fire and they were filming that story and happened to get the plane hitting the building. I thought that maybe the pilot got lost in the smoke and tried to correct but was too late. It was not until later that I figured out that I had seen the second plane hit.

My wife came out of the bathroom and we started watching the news reports. As the story unfolded, it started seem like it was the end of the world. We saw the Pentagon and then the plane that crashed in the field in Pennsylvania. We heard the reports of all planes being grounded and then we saw the towers collapse. Neither of us could believe what was going on.

Then my world truly changed.

At 2:20 my wife’s water broke and the TV was turned off. At 3:20pm my daughter came out into the world. There she was now. The thing that had created so much fear in me but had also brought so much joy when I finally came to accept I was being a father. As I held her in my arms, the rest of the world disappeared and it was only me and her.

Now three years later we are coming up on the anniversary of that tragic day, but I cannot be sad. For on that the greatest thing that ever happened to me occurred, my daughter’s birth. The world has changed from what I knew growing up but now my life has meaning.

It is hard to believe that my daughter is going to be three years old and it is amazing watching her growing up before my eyes. She is smart, she recognizes almost all her capitol letters, she can count to ten, she knows most of her basic colors, and of course, is getting into everything. The little bugger even figured out how to flip light switches using a broom handle.

In retrospect, even though it was such a tragic day and not something I would ever want to happen again, it was also the greatest day of my life. I hope that as we remember the tragedy and the sacrifices that were made on that day, we also remember that miracles do happen.

Marlena Ashley born 9/11/2001

What a terrific story. Is your daughter featured in the book “Faces of Hope” (a book that features babies born that day and their parents)?

odaran, all I can say is that was just beautiful.

I liked the part about the light switches! :smiley:

No, I did not even know that the book existed. I am looking it up on Amazon.com right now to show my wife. No one ever approached us about it. Thank you for the info.

Happy Birthday to your daughter. My neice was born on the morning of September 11, 2004 in a Navy hospital in Norfolk, VA. She and her mother were discharged and sent home a few hours after the birth to make room for the pentagon casualties coming in.
The name of your daughter struck me, because my neice is named Ashley Marie. Funny coincidence, huh? Anyway I just want to say that it is a happy day for my family too.

Scratching head…

Whoops, my bad. That should of course read 2001. I have to sign and date every little thing at work so I guess I was autopilot or something.

Don’t feel bad, I had to double check my dates when I wrote the story of what happened that day.

It is so true that once you have children… time flies.

odaran, what a beautiful tale to share, thank you. If anything I wrote in the narrative, or Afterthoughts made it feel exclusionary I apologize most vigorously.

Life prevails. My wife’s cousin and his wife eagerly awaited the birth of their first child. When finally he arrived, they were not able to call the United States from Germany to share the wonderful news, that he’d been born very early in the morning of September 11th, 2001. Given the time differential, apparently Scotty tried over and over to reach his parents…only to fail. He quickly found out why.

No birth is a time for sadness, and a birth tied to that date should hold nothing but hope- the same hope that every birth holds.

Smooch yer kid for all of us, ok? :slight_smile:

Cartooniverse

Sorry, I did not mean to say that I felt your thread was written in a way that excluded my story. When I had read about the hospital beds, I felt sadden(I know that is not the right word but it is the only one I can think of). I just wanted people to know that there was a miracle on that day and did not want to change your thread in a way that would take away the emotion that you felt. I guess to put it another way, I did not want it to seem like I was trying to hijack the thread.

Understood, all is good. :slight_smile:

I don’t think someone could hijack that thread.