Remember when swing dancing was a thing?

Big band music is the bomb. I am more of too late to the party hippie type.
Big band music is the soundtrack to my early childhood though.
I wish the resurgence of swing dancing had started when I was a teen, I would gotten into it, for sure.

One of the last decent Brendan Fraser movies, Blast From The Past, had a fun swing dance sequence in it.

Upon watching it again, my memory improved their dancing quite a bit. :slight_smile:

Many cities have Lindy Hop swing dance groups, the Southern US doesn’t have as many but there are some. I am not sure where is NE Indiana you live but I am sure there is a group close you. Most will have a “taster” lessons that are free or really cheap, dances on a weekend night with a free lesson etc. The videos you linked to are of the top dancers in the world, most social dancers don’t dance near that fast nor do they all do “air steps.” They don’t dance like that unless it is for a performance or a contest. Unless you have an issue where you can’t walk, you can swing dance. It is good exercise, good for balance, works your brain and all done to music. If you don’t like 20s-to 40s jazz, you can look for West coast swing which is usually done to more modern music. Most groups do not require you to have a partner and everyone dances with everyone else. I love swing dance.
Smooth Dancing - YouTube

Swing Lindy Hop Dance Lessons with Frankie Manning Level 2 - YouTube

Around 11 years ago, my (now) wife and I took a park district one-shot dance class. 90% of the class was rumba, salsa, merengue stuff and my wife, of Latina descent, easily danced circle around me. With about 20 minutes left, the instructor took a quick poll to see what style we wanted to wrap up with and swing won. Oh, how the tables turned and my wife, outdanced by me despite my never having danced swing in my life, was left to mutter about crazy white people shit :smiley:

Shortly after that scene, the military returned Brendan Fraser’s character back to the same bomb shelter where they put Big Bad Voodoo Daddies, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Cherry Poppin’ Daddies, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Mighty Mighty Boss Tones, third-wave ska music, the films Swing Kids, Swingers, The Mask and the 1999 Super Bowl halftime show and then sealed it for eternity.

Things like what? The Japs’ bombing Pearl Harbor?

I’ve been meaning to get back to this thread. After my last post here I swing danced my way to the couch (about 3 ft.) and spent the next ten hours or so there.
Anyway, I’ve been watching Babylon Berlin on Netflix and it has some interesting dancing in it too. It’s set in pre WW2 Berlin and a lot of it takes place in a dance club. It’s what I’d call “jitterbug” type stuff but that might not be the correct description. If you’re interested go to YTube and search “Babylon Berlin dance”. I’d link but there’s some mildly NSFW stuff and it’s such a chore on the tablet.
I may start a thread on the show later. It’s pretty good.

Here’s one of my favorite demonstrations. The tone is dated but the athleticism of the dancing is pretty awesome: Lindy Hop Hellzapoppin - YouTube

Thanks! That was cool.

I know a few twentysomethings who are big swing dancers. In Omaha, it seems to correlate with activity in the Democratic Party.* Not sure why.
*That’s not snark; this is absolutely true in my experience.

Last one from me: it’s not strictly swing dancing but this routine by the Nicholas Brothers is one of the all-time great performances. One of their signature moves was standing from a full split without using their hands.

Love that show. There are several movies from the 40s and 50s with swing dancing. I cant think of any right now. I watch a lot TCM and swing dancing is all over the place.

Pete and Trudy Charleston.

Swing dancing is alive and well. I play for swing dance events on a regular basis. Just played a Lindy contest a couple weeks ago. I know of two weekly swing dance events in Sacramento. They have a live band once a month.

I videotaped one of those shows with the intention of putting it up on YouTube. I’ll try to let you know here when I do.

I’m a swing dancer!

I was a teenager for the 90s Swing resurgence. I competed on my college dance team and afterward. I met my wife swing dancing. We are not as good as some of the videos here, but we are random-people-sometimes-come-up-to-us-and-buy-us-drinks-when-we-go-out-dancing good.

I used to be damn good. My gf in the late 90’s was damn good too. Can’t do it anymore, two bad knees and two bad achilles will do that to you.

As a Burner I get exposed to a lot of EDM and while some of it is tolerable I can’t say I’m enthusiastic about any of it. Then, one evening I passed a dance camp where the DJ was playing Electro swing. “Say, I could actually get into this stuff.” A few couples could swing dance and took turns in the middle of the space while the others appreciated – it was a long set.

A long time ago I shot a job called “ Swingin’ With The Duke”. Hosted by Winton Marsalis and featuring the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, it’s a wonderful documentary on Duke Ellington.

I shot the days of performance work at a supper club just off of Times Square. I’d never seen swing dancing and here I was, surrounded by superb dancers. Trying to get good shots and not get kicked !! :slight_smile:

Any of the moving shots of the band and of the dancers is my work. Enjoy !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is still is a thing.

I prefer the Latin styles, but have been known to throw down a little East Coast swing.

There are lots of places to take lessons and go to shows. Some people go the whole nine yards and dress up in vintage clothes, and what not.

Bright Lights, Late Nights

Smooth, man smooth.