Repairing a hole in a pot?

I bought a relatively cheap pot a while back. I don’t have the box or receipt to return it.

The pot had a metal plate stuck to the side with the maker’s logo on it, and was connected via two small pins that went through the side of the pot. It’s broken free, leaving a small hole in the side.

Would a metal glue be alright to repair it? I need something that will be non-toxic and can resist the heat (gas stove).

If it’s truly out of warranty, buy a replacement. Why would you bother trying to fix it? You’ll always be worrying about the patch.

Is this a metal or a ceramic pot? If it’s the former, I’d try Jerry-rigging another metal plate using some small bolts or similar. I wouldn’t recommend an epoxy if there is a likelihood of it getting to high temperature >170°, or close to a naked flame, since it can release all sorts of toxins in burning. If the pot is ceramic you could use a polymer clay like Fimo to plug the gap and then harden it in the oven. Failing that you may wish to consult this instructional video.

You can always try JB Weld. It’s harmless when cured, and good up to 500º

I’ll look for it.

I’m not the worrying sort.

The old song says to fix a bucket with straw, however I don’t think that’s gonna hold up too well for a pot, under heat. Actually, I don’t see how that would hold up, PERIOD.

Easiest fix would be to put a solid rivet in the holes. For a rough job all it required is a couple of hammers. Stick the rivet through the hole from the inside out. Have someone hold a hammer against the head of the rivet and hit the shank from the outside. Takes a little practice but after you’ve done it a few times hand riveting is easy. Best of all there are no chemicals involved.

Straw would soak up menstrual blood just fine.

Muffler bandage.

What an odd coincidence that you should mention this. Two days ago I was reminising about the Great Depression and the years after it and I vividly remembered my mother repairing small holes in kitchen kettles with a repair kit she bought at Woolworth’s. It consisted of a 3 x 5 car on which were 4 - 6 small washer-like pieces of soft metal. Instead of a hole, these pieces of metal had a screw-like extension which you put through the hole in the pot and then tightened with a little nut which also came with the card. I hope that is clear. And I wondered whether these were still being made and sold in stores. Or in our throw-away society have we all become too affluent to worry about repairing kitchen kettles?

If you have a friend with pop rivet gun (they are fairly cheap) that would be the neatest, easiest and least potentially toxic fix.

And how do you plug up the hole in the middle of the pop rivet?

(Or are there hole-less pop rivets?)

A smaller pop rivet.

The hole is filled by the head of the mandrel which is broken off inside it. Sometimes securely, sometimes not.

And almost always a mild steel and therefore subject to rust.

You can get sealed pop rivets, but unless the pot is aluminum you’ll still have issues with dissimilar metals corroding.

Pots and pans and kettles and such used to be a major household investment. My mom has a set she bought for the 1968 equivalent of $1,000 today. Those are worth repairing. Just like darning socks used to be a worthwhile investment of time because socks were once hard to come by.

People these days mostly choose to spend their money on other things, and instead of purchasing heavy-gauge steel pots, they get the cheap aluminum version that will not last forever. Maybe 5 years if you’re careful and lucky. If I buy a $20 pot, I plan to use it for a while and not the rest of my life, if I buy a $200 pot, I expect it to last my lifetime.

I like that little repair kit idea. I need to keep that in mind as I’m sure Mom’s pots and pans will still be around for me to inherit one day. Hopefully not any time soon.

My great grandma lived through the depression and every pot in the house had a rivet or washer and bolt through a hole that wore through the pot. Either way works, but the rivet is less annoying and obtrusive.