Replacing a torn capacitor on a TV

My crappy 25" coax-only Sanyo fell victim to my even crappier dresser that it was sitting on top of.

The shoddy dresser started to lean at a 45-degree angle, and the jack got ripped out. I took the TV apart and found that one lead of the ceramic 1800 pF cap was connected to the circuit board, while the other was connected to the coax jack.

I’m not exactly an electronics whiz, so I turn to the experts of the SDMB.

Radio Shack carries .001 µF caps. 1800 pF is equivalent to .0018 µF.

Would this suffice, or should I go for a .01 µF capacitor?

I would use two 0.001 uF caps in parallel, since 0.002 uF would be in the tolerance band of the 0.0018 uF cap.

Good idea. I think I’ll go with that. Thank you.

And I wouldn’t do it myself, at all. There are presumably other capacitors in there, and some of the capacitors in a TV can give you a deadly shock long after the set is unplugged, if you poke the wrong thing in the innards.

This is certainly good advice for someone who knows nothing about TVs or electronics. But because neutron star apparently knows what a capacitor is, I’m working on the assumption that he knows how to safely work on a TV w/ CRT.

Is that a valid assumption, neutron star? If not, you need to either:

A) Stay clear of the flyback transformer and the red wire going to the CRT, or
B) Discharge the high voltage using a resistor and insulated screwdriver, or
C) Have a pro do it.

While I don’t know all that much, I think I’ll be okay. The box with the coax jack only has one resistor and one (broken) capacitor. Its plug is removable from the TV tuner, so those are the only components I’ll be in contact with.

Lots of them available on line. A google product search reveals these as available options. I’m sure you can match the case/voltage requirements from one of these.

Standard warnings about working inside CRT devices apply.