My 62 year old Cape Cod is really showing her age. I am starting with complete bathroom remodel. The first floor bath needs to be demolished to the studs and all parts replaced.
My question is this, what are the issues to consider if I opt for a shower only instead of the current tub/shower combo?
- There is a tub in the upstairs bathroom, so I will still have a tub option.
- No one in this house ever takes a bath and we’re not planning to leave. (with the current housing market, I couldn’t sell this house with a box of Cracker Jacks)
- We are all X-Large people, so I am thinking a shower only solution will seem roomier. (I am thinking a bench, so you could sit)
- I just passed into senior citizen territory, so I am thinking a shower might be easier to access, as the sun sets.
- I am just terrible when it comes to talking to repair guys. I’d like to have my facts ready, to avoid being shined on.
- The bathroom is x-small, and I am thinking a shower only solution will create an illusion of more room.
- I am thinking white tile on the floor & walls topped with a thin row of colored glass tiles.
- Is it worth the $$ to get glass doors? Would a shower curtain be sufficient if I plan to have a 4 or 5" step in? I had plastic doors in my last house and I didn’t love them.
- Yes, I am REALLY nervous about embarking on this venture.