Report Y2K failures here

I’d like to start a thread to track and report Y2K failures that you have experienced already, or that you can document.

Here’s a Y2K problem that the chain jiffy lube is experiencing:
http://www.artbell.com/images/y2kjiffy.jpg

Does anyone else have any examples to share?

Good thread idea, Krispy!

I think it was Philadelphiia that recently sent out a batch of impossible to comply with jury summons for January 1900.

This one isn’t anything grand-scale, but only a mild annoyance…I was in a local book store the other day, and attempted to purchase a book with my Mastercard (which, by the way, has an expiry date of 08/00 or 09/00…can we see where this is headed?) In any case, the cash register wouldn’t accept the card, since it assumed my card had expired in August of 1900…Next, I had to deal with all of the off-shooting problems that I associate with Y2K, namely the idiot salesperson who had no clue what I meant when I told them to call MasterCard for a manual authorization. (“I don’t think we can do that, sir…”) I finally gave up. The next Anne Perry Mystery would have to wait.

Civility costs nothing.

Re: credit & debit cards with post-1999 expiration dates. I have a debit card (with a Mastercard logo) that has a Jan. 2000 expiration date, and I haven’t had ANY problems using it – not once has it been rejected.

This is a good idea for a thread - in MPSIMS, no question.

As a tech support rep, I get a lot of “problems” with Y2K that can be summed up with the following true conversation that someone more clever than I had.

Tech: Thanks for calling tech support, can I help you?
Caller: Am I Y2K compliant?
Tech Well, what year comes after 1999?
Caller: Huh?
Tech: Hmm. Doesn’t look good.
Caller: What? My computer should be Y2K Compliant!
Tech: Oh, your computer is fine, but I’m worried about the user.
Caller: Asshole click

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I cringe getting a 00 date on anything, a drivers license, credit card, etc. Lucky I dont have those. whew.

My credit cards have MM/YY expiration dates, but all seem to work fine. Just hoping the billing computer crashes next month. :slight_smile:

Handy, my driver’s license (that I had renewed in October) is Y2K compliant. All the dates are MM-DD-YYYY. Just in case someone thinks I was born in 1864.

I give the YYYY format 5 years, then people will tire of it and go back to YY. Then let our great-grandkids do it all over again in the 2090’s.

My credit cards have MM/YY expiration dates, but all seem to work fine. Just hoping the billing computer crashes next month. :slight_smile:

Handy, my driver’s license (that I had renewed in October) is Y2K compliant. All the dates are MM-DD-YYYY. Just in case someone thinks I was born in 1864.

I give the YYYY format 5 years, then people will tire of it and go back to YY. Then let our great-grandkids do it all over again in the 2090’s.

AWB, now THAT’S funny!

Enright3

AWB, now THAT’S funny!

Enright3

AWB, now THAT’S funny!

Enright3

AWB, now THAT’S funny!

Enright3

Maine’s DMV had a similar problem to Jiffy Lube’s. The computer recognized new cars (made in 2000) as being made in 1900. Hence, they were designated on the vehicle title as being “Horseless Carriages”.

The problem has since been resolved. Obligatory link: http://www.y2k-links.com/garynorth/6486.htm