Request for cubical change in office

I believe that the consensus is that you should not move back. It will not look good to your manager. Put another way, it will make you look bad.

If you do have a medical problem that can be helped with ergonomics, you should of course follow office procedure to have this addressed.

Best of luck.

Like most of the above, I think you’re picking the wrong hill to die on. Bringing a medical note is going to tag you even more with ‘troublemaker.’ Maybe wait until there is some staff turnover and then bring the subject up.

It sounds to me like you’re determined to ask to switch back, regardless of the good advice you’ve been given here.

Clearly you made a mistake when you asked to move in the first place; asking to change back doesn’t seem to me like a great idea at all, but if you’re determined to find or invent a reason why you must move back, then just get on with it and ask to move back.

The problem with this is that you are just making things up to get what you want.

Go to your manager and say, “I made a mistake - can I move back to my old cube?” If she says Yes, move back and then keep your mouth shut and concentrate on doing your job. If she says No, same thing, except without the moving back part.

Every office seems to have someone who isn’t happy unless he’s miserable. That someone is never popular. Trust me, I know - I sit next to someone like that.

You better be damn good at your job, because this kind of thing isn’t winning you any brownie points with your manager.

Regards,
Shodan

Can someone just give this poor girl permission to ask her manager to move back. She clearly wants her way regardless of the advice that many people have given her, and the potential consequences that may befall her.

Just because someone asks for advice doesn’t mean they have any obligation to take it.

They didn’t find this thread persuasive enough. That’s perfectly fine. I wish them luck.

I have moved to different desks, sometimes different floors, twice changing buildings, all without changing jobs, five times in the last 12 months. It was a minor pain each time but no big deal - pack, unpack, sit down. I’m sure it’s as mundane for the OP.

if you ask for this move, you’re done with the cubicle moving.

If it were me I’d take a different approach.

“Hey Boss - I’m loving my new cubicle- thanks for that! - but now that I’m further away I don’t feel as in touch as I used to - do you mind if I set up some time on your calendar for us to touch base? Maybe Tuesdays and Thursdays, just for 10 minutes or so, so I can stay up to date and involved. If some other days work better I can meet whenever you’re free.”

If you yourself requested these 5 moves in the past year, I’m surprised you’re still employed there. However, if your employer requested that you move, that’s something else entirely & makes senses.

Where I work, it’s a major event to move a cube - as has been mentioned above.

Exactly, it’s a major event to move at my very large company, since although the employee is in charge of packing and unpacking, everything is moved by corporate. You’re not even supposed to take a notebook from your old cube to your new cube. Moving just because, “I don’t like where I sit” might be done as a one time accomadation, especially if it is a situation that’ll never change such as sitting next to a window and having problems with screen glare from the sun. Or, they’ll do temporary moves if there’s some major renovations are going on.

However, there might be one remedy. At my company, there’s usually an annual mass migration which features a lot of desk moves. Departments move to different floors, people are moved around to fill in spaces with people who have left the company, the VPs play games to see who gets the office with the best view, etc. If your company does this, then this might be your opportunity. At my compnay, they’ll bring in contractors for a week to accomplish all these moves during a low period. This year, it has been the week before Labor Day, other years, it is the week before New Years.

Thanks! everyone for your suggestion. Finally decided not to ask for a move. I will adjust with new cubicle