Restaurants Cutting Off Customers Neckties with Scissors

That must have been the one I went to as a kid. We were there with friends we were visiting in Gardena.

Why would he need links if he was asking a question? We normally demand links when one presents a statement as fact or to back up an opinion. Siam Sam was doing neither.

Then they just stab you in the throat. They don’t suffer wiseacres lightly

Used to be, not any more. That area is ripe with prostitution now.

That’s kinda what I was thinking; there’s not much on a bow tie to cut, and waving scissors that close to someone’s throat is asking for trouble.

Okay, I will insult the OP if it will make you feel better:

Siam Sam, your OP is rubbish. It is almost as bad as a post by purplehearingaid!

My father had a photo of his necktie being cut off while sitting in a restaurant. No clue where it was, but it was 1950’s- 1960’s. He was laughing. Clearly knew it was coming.

He’s been gone for 10 years so I cannot verify location or date.

Pinnacle Peak

Dad used to intentionally wear one of his ‘$200 Thai ties’ (every time mom went shopping in Thailand and spent $200, she’d buy dad a tie) to Pinnacle Peak, just so he could have it cut off. IIRC he’d fill out a card with his name on it, which would be stapled with the tie to the wall.

There’s a restaurant outside of Scottsdale with hundreds of ties pinned to the rafters.

There’s an episode of Frasier where Martin takes Frasier and Niles to such a place. Only time I’d ever heard of such a thing.

Damn stinky prostitutes!

When I was growing up in Des Moines, there was a pizza place in a nondescript green cinder block building near the airport called Bamie’s that allegedly had the best pizza. We never ate there in part because of the owner’s theatrics, which did indeed include this. However, local men would deliberately wear the ugliest ties they could find (which in the 1970s says something) so they could get on Bamie’s wall of fame (yes, he did display those ties). He would also spray patrons with a fire extinguisher without warning.

They closed shortly before I started high school.

There are gazillions of posts about Bamie’s on various DSM Facebook pages. The closest thing I’ve ever read to a negative review was one person who said their family always got the pizza to go because they thought the owner’s stunts got old really fast.

ETA: I wrote this post before reading the rest of the thread.

I never knew they were a chain.
There was one in Arizona, near the Pinnacle Peak. I wonder if that’s where they got started.

Here in San Diego (suburb of Santee) we used to have Pinnacle Peak, a lovely place for a damn good steak. (Now out of business, doggonit.)

They did the whole “Cut off your necktie” schtick, and, yes, obviously, they’d give fair warning just in case someone honestly didn’t know it was a schtick.

The rafters were absolutely festooned with cut-off neckties. (I figure business went up right after Christmas and Father’s Day…)

ETA: my bad, didn’t see it was already mentioned. Also didn’t know they were a chain. Any still open?

Thank you.

Colton and San Dimas; click on the link! :wink:

I remember that. For comedic effect, IIRC, Frasier and Niles have NO warning of the no-tie rule and are appalled when their very expensive silk ties are snipped off. Martin, their dad, knew ahead of time, and was quite amused.

This is out of bounds for this thread, if you have a problem with other posters, take it to the BBQ Pit. If you have a problem with rules or how the mods have handled things, take it to ATMB.

If you ever see anyone insulting you or breaking rules, report the post.

Don’t hijack another thread about this stuff, however.

There is a Pinnacle Peak restaurant in Tucson which seems to be (currently) unrelated to the ones in California (and pre-dates them by several years). They have been doing the tie cutting thing for decades. Anyone who actually gets a tie cut off is doing so on purpose (we used to have a Japanese sales manager who loved getting a cheesy tie cut off and a big steak whenever he was in town).

The restaurant is in a faux western town compete with dressed up characters and a western stunt show…

Yes, it’s called Weiberfastnacht which is on Thursday in the week before Ash Wednesday. Women in costumes will cut off your tie (I guess there is a psychological symbolism).

Pictures:

https://www.google.de/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=683&q=weiberfastnacht+krawatte&btnG=Bildersuche&oq=&gs_l=