Read this story to learn about the reality of airline security.
Some points to note:
- The man was wearing only pj bottoms. (Nothing can be wrong there!)
- He left the concourse thru a door that had both an alarm and a security camera.
- He got into a baggage truck and drove onto a taxiway.
- He was finally stopped by baggage handlers who detained him and called security.
- All at one of the busiest airports in the world. One where many 9/11 hijackers flew out of on their way to get to their target airports.
In short, the security at US airports is all show and nothing more. It is quite effective at scaring regular people (the actual main goal) but wouldn’t deter a bad person for a second.
And yes, you will have plastic utensils removed from your bags at the security checkpoint which you can quickly replace if you are in a hurry at a concourse cafe. If you are not in a hurry, you can obtain even nicer ones during your meal on the plane.