Restoring mundanity and pointlessness to the forum

New York

These sound like the names of cities in Iceland

Or Ikea purchases!

One night I was having trouble falling asleep, so I went through the state names to see which ones have an anagram. The two I came up with, with the letters listed alphabetically:

aeimnnots
and
aestx

Aside: I once had my students do a programming project to create a data structure in the C language to handle anagrams, starting with a pretty large dictionary of words. The first step was to take a word and arrange its letters alphabetically, as done in the OP. This became a hashtable entry containing a linked list that had either its first “hit” as the original unsorted word, or a list of anagrams with all of the unsorted words that shared the same anagram. It was a fun project.

It is! But I think (my native :heart_eyes:) “eeejnrswy” sounds most like its original form, at least among the longer and more complicated names.

Ah! Thank you.

I’m sure the residents of Minnesota will be delighted to hear their state name is an anagram for “a snot mine”.

I meant other than those already solved and looks similar to the clue quoted. The point is that the w didn’t belong and I spent too long trying to think of a state where it did.

iiiimppssss

mppssiiiiss

mpsims

immpss

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

A bus stops, and two Italian men get on. They seat themselves, and engage in animated conversation. The lady sitting behind them ignores their conversation at first, but her attention is galvanized when she hears one of the men say the following:

“Emma come first. Den I come. Den two asses come together. I come once-a-more. Two asses, they come together again. I come again and pee twice. Den I come one lasta time.”

“You foul-mouthed swine,” sputters the lady indignantly. In this country we don’t talk about our sex lives in public."

“Hey, coola down lady,” said the man. “Who talkin abouta sexa? I’ma justa tellun my frienda how to spella Mississippi.”

I think we should change all the state names to the names on this list, and then make grade school kids memorize the 50 states! :smiling_face_with_horns:

I’m pretty sure Alabama put all those extra a’s in their name just to ensure they would stay first in the list even if this happened.

I think this one’s my favorite. Sort of reminds me of how a person from there would say the name of the state.

As my Italian-American husband would say, “That’s racist” but I can think of several people in his family who would find it hilarious.

It may be mundane and pointless but I am glad you shared!

iiiimppssss - inane inconsequential incongruous insipid mundane pedantically pointless stuff someone should share

I’m half Italian and I thought it was pretty funny.

I assumed you dropped your phone in the toilet and was waiting for it to dry out.

A few other mundane pointless facts about the list:

37 state names contain the letter a. That’s 74%, or practically 3/4.
13 states do not.
3 of these 13 are on the list of the original 13 colonies.