Name 50 US States in 10 Minutes

See if you can name all 50 US states in 10 minutes. Sounds easy, huh? Well, I consider myself knowledgeable in all things American, but only got 49. (I want to make it clear that I am not an idiot; I actually had heard of the state I missed :slight_smile: ). I request that if you chose to try this, please DO NOT READ PAST THIS OP TO OTHER RESPONSES UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR ATTEMPT. This is because I would like each respondent to post his or her results including the states, if any, that were missed, and seeing other people’s results could influence you. Yeah, we could use spoilers, but it’s just so much easier this way.

To summarize, make your attempt and post which states you missed.

extra space added to hide first respondent’s post.

I missed pesky old Nevada.

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Conneticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Lousiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missisipt
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washinton
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

All fifty, courtesy of a stupid song I had to learn in Junior High School

Alabama
Arkansas
Alaska
Arizona
California
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Kentucky
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New York
New Jersey
New Mexico
New Hampshire
North Dakota
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

Damn, ten minutes is just not enough!

1 Maine
2 Vermont
3 New Hampshire
4 Massachussets
5 New York
6 Connecticut
7 Rhode Island
8 Delaware
9 Pennsylvania
10 Maryland
11 Virginia
12 West Virginia
13 North Carolina
14 South Carolina
15 Georgia
16 Florida
17 Ohio
18 Kentucky
19 Tennessee
20 Alabama
21 Mississippi
22 Louisiana
23 Texas
24 Oklahoma
25 Illinois
26 Indiana
27 Michigan
28 Missouri
29 Kansas
30 Arkansas
31 Wisconsin
32 Iowa
33 Minnesota
34 North Dakota
35 South Dakota
36 Montana
37 Idaho
38 Washington
39 Oregon
40 California
41 Nevada
42 New Mexico
43 Arizona
44 Colorado
45 Utah
46 Wyoming
47 Hawaii
48 Alaska
49 New Jersey
50 Nebraska

I hope I didn’t repeat any. 6 minutes.

Let’s see. Started at 10:57am; ended at 11:07am EST. Wrote them down by hand, in two columns of 25 each. Racked my brains for the last two minutes or so, but I missed Kansas, Wyoming and Utah. :smack:

I like to use this as a bar bet. And I’ve heard of people like you! :slight_smile:

Only missed Kentucky. If I had another minute, I would’ve gotten it.

I went through the states that I knew off the top of my head, then added the Presidential toss-up states, the states with pro sports teams, and then college sports conferences. I just didn’t make it to the SEC in time.

Alaska
Hawaii
Washington
Oregon
California
Idaho
Nevada
Utah
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Arkansas
Missouri
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Delaware
West Virginia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Michigan
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
New Jersey
Vermont
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Maine

Took me six minutes. It’s funny how An Gadai went East to West, and I went West to East, although we both used a top-down approach. Anyone (who doesn’t memorize an alphabetic list) start at Florida and go up?

If it’s no too much trouble, could you post the ones you missed? I want to see which states are missed the most.

Mark me down as another one of those that had to learn that song in their youth. It was fifth or sixth grade for me, IIRC.

I have never, ever, forgotten all 50 states in alphabetical order. I’ve tried. Believe me, I’ve tried.

So yeah, it would take me a mere matter of seconds to think of them all. And I could probably type them all out within a couple minutes.

ETA: And a big old hearty “Fuck You!” for getting that blasted song stuck in my head again! :wink:

I was gonna start the West - East way but I realised the East Coast has so many wee states that I’d likely forget some, I nearly forgot New Joisey. I remembered the fictional state of Delaware though. Anyone care to try naming the 32 counties of Ireland now? :slight_smile:

Start your own damn thread! :mad: :smiley:

Me too!

I got 49 states in 2 minutes. It took me another 2 minutes to figure out which one I missed.

I worked through it by visualizing a map and writing down the states as I traveled over it. I used the two-letter postal abbreviations instead of full spelling, so I could go pretty fast.

Slightly over 2 and a half minutes, but that’s mainly because I have that Animaniacs song memorized.

Back in the day, my roommates and I would do this for fun … writing them out in a notebook. Invariably, there would be one little fucking state that would escape us, to the point of irritation.

And every time we played this little game, it was a different state that would be the elusive one.

We’d collectively have that “tip-of-the-tongue” syndrome until several hours later, in the middle of a card game or something, out of no where … “Fucking Kentucky!” :smack:

Countries of the World Map Quiz I think this thread derives from here. You can name the presidents,state capitols, NFL teams and many others. Naming presidents would seem easy but Buchanan,Polk,Van Buren and some others take a deep memory search.

Same here.

My dearest apologies to anyone from or living in:

Alabama
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Wyoming

I suck :frowning:

And what’s worse, I used to know this.

Got them all, in 6 minutes. Almost forgot Kansas.