Retiring main characters in long running series (when you don’t absolutely have to)…

So apparently, Ash Ketchum will cease to be the main character of the Pokemon anime after 25 years on the air. The outpouring of wistful sadness, nostalgia, and nervousness for the new characters made me think of the classic issue (pun intended) with DC and Marvel comics. This is the dilemma they face with Clark Kent, Steve Rogers, etc. These characters are tied to decades of lore remembered fondly by a great many people, and despite the problems it creates, it is a real force. Both companies have even tried to move on from those specific individuals, but these efforts have never stuck, for one reason or another. There are two opposing forces in play here, and whatever decision you make will displease a certain part of your audience. Obviously, in live action, you don’t have a choice at a certain point, but that’s not a problem with non living casts.

What do you think of this dilemma? I know that no one here is likely a franchise executive trying to make decisions in the best financial interests of the brand, but maybe spitball what you might do in that role as well as in your role of fan? What are your thoughts?

The great thing about the question is: there’s no wrong answer. That’s one reason why DC could get away with killing Superman 15 times.

You kill the character, no one complains; great, you made the right decision!

You kill the hero, everyone complains; that’s okay, too. You simply announce you’re bringing him/her/it back and you sell an extra 100,000 issues.

You don’t want to kill the hero but you’ve run out of story ideas; no problem, just do a reboot with a couple of new powers and weaknesses, and maybe freshen up the costume. Or, just age the character out and semi-retire them or have them mentor the new character.

Apropos of nothing, it was as a result of this announcement that I finally belatedly realized the character’s name is “catch 'em.” Please feel free to point at me and snicker.