Revenue recovery notice: a scam or not?

I just got something in the mail that threw me for a loop today. It’s from some revenue recovery service and they say that I’m due X amount of dollars “which was paid to the government by state of CA Savings PL.” (?)

They say they track lost assets and have been doing so for 7 years.

Here’s the deal: After I get payment, this company would get 10% for having provided the documents so I could file the claim.

There are phone #s on this notice but no website.

Any comments?

Most of these places charge you to claim money that you could get for free by going to the CA dept of revenue site.

Well, by golly, the money is real and I can indeed claim it on my own.

Thanks, Carmen!

Here’s a website that tells you how to find out what if anything you have in a given state’s treasury

Thanks, picu–that site gives the links for every state. Everybody ought to go take a look. You never know. I certainly didn’t.

I found some money that the state of Ohio owes to my parents. They haven’t lived in Ohio in over 20 years.

Kansas owes me (and/or my ex) $14.++ The paper hoops I’d have to jump through, including the one where i talk to my ex, weren’t worth $14.?? But, Hey, it could have been… nope, it could only have been $14. 00, 'cause we were poor back then… I’m amazed we left the $14. behind.

Nothing for me (never anything for me) but I found three listings for my one dead grandmother and one listing for my other dead grandmother. I suppose I ought to let my parents know.

Yes, tell them. As heirs, they should be able to obtain the funds.

Or, since the funds must be held in perpetuity by the state, I could wait for my parents to die and then apply for the funds for myself! Muah-ha-ha-ha!

One of the listings for my one dead grandmother is also linked to my grandfather, who died in 1967.

Wow, My mom is owed money as are a couple of friends. It’s kind of fun searching, but I wish someone owed ME money!

WooHoo! It is indeed rare that an off the cuff input turns out to help someone.

Oh ye-ah, oh ye-ah, oh ye-ah…

Meh. I’m not owed any money, but if I were, I’d probably give 10% of it to the organization that sent me the e-mail. I mean, it would’ve otherwise gone unclaimed, and it was awfully nice of them to notify you, even if you can get it free.