Ridiculously general statements about countires

I feel the english can be summed up in the following phrase:
“The English aren’t patriotic, patriotism is for weak minded fools who think their countries the best. The English simply know their’s is the best”

I think you get the idea, however I feel to stop a mass outbreak of deragorty remarks( and yes the above is deregoatory,just not evidently so) you are only allowed to write insulting things about your own country, or the counrty you curently live in. That should stop any possible wars. Actually I’m not sure if that’s a good thing, ah well to late to change my mind now…

Something about Americas population being overcrowded by obese people. This is simply not true and only limited to Texas and Detroit.

Somehow, I have a feeling this thread is not long for the Dope. But as it’s here now, let me just say that I think on the whole, my fellow Americans are spoiled and lazy. We all seem to be happy to reap the rewards of our country, or to complain about it, but we find it pretty damn inconvenient to DO anything for it or about it.

“Americans have no culture, because they have no history.”

I’m American and have heard this statement from a number of Europeans. Does anyone know how many years a country has to be around before it has a history?

Aw, they’re just jealous because they all have “Conquered by ” over so much of their own history. :smiley:

There, how’s that for a generalization? (Double :smiley: )

Some countries you love; some countries you hate. Canada is a country you worry about.

– some dude

“America is the greatest country in the world.” - anonymous

The French are “cheese eating surrender monkeys”. –Groundskeeper Willie

Here’s an obvious example:

Australians are chronically drunk, unsophisticated roughnecks

France is full of smelly wimps.

I’m sure I can think of more. BTW, I don’t mean any of this.

Europeans don’t understand that the history of America doesn’t begin on July 4, 1776, but goes all the way back to Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, Persia, Babylon, and other countries. Up until the revolution, American history was English history (and Scottish, Irish, and Welsh as well). Before that it was French and Spanish. Before that, well, there were some people living here who’s history may be less well documented, but if you live here, it’s part of your history as well.

Part of America’s wealth (this probably goes for Canada, Mexico and all points south as well, to some extent) is the broad cultural spectrum of its inhabitants.

My opinion? Australians are a lot of fun to hang out with.

The French? Well, I don’t think they embraced the Victorian notion that “cleanliness is next to G-dliness” as strongly as the British (nor did they carry it to the extremes that some Americans do). As far as their being “wimps” is concerned – I suspect you have to read a bit more history to appreciate that if the French are guilty of any martial foolishness, it’s the fact that they’ve had a knack for choosing leadership that is less than ideally suited to their needs for the last century or so, and would rather not risk finding out that the current crop of leaders are upholding the tradition. :rolleyes:

I’ve been to Germany, Guam and Korea, and I find that wherever you go, you’re always going to find at least a few people you can’t stand and a lot of people who are okay. If you’re lucky, you’ll even make a few friends.

–SSgtBaloo

I’ve got this inner image of americans as outgoing, expressive and loud. I think your popular culture has corrupted my mind.

I saw something today where the French are the largest consumers of cheese per capita in the world. In addition, we’re all evolved from monkeys, and I’ll let you make up your own mind about what constitutes surrender.

Sorry, that was Jeff. He’s new.

Don’t forget your own city Chicago, the second fattest city in the US.

What makes you think that that ISN’T what we’re trying to use our culture to do? >:D
Ranchoth
(We really need an “evil grin” smiley. And Smackie, too.)

“The English people don’t have a dream. They just sneer at other people’s.”

Maybe not the all-summing quote you’re looking for, but it works well for certain aspects.

Americans are fat, loud and ignorant, and Canadians are desperate to let everyone know they’re not Americans.

That ought to do it.

“France deserves Spain as a neighbour” - Portuguese proverb

:slight_smile:

That’s not a derogato
ry remark, it’s true.

No cite… :slight_smile:

I don’t believe what I wrote, of course. I would like to visit both of these places someday and maybe see how close the streotypes are to reality. I know they can’t be close to true.