Riemann's posts in 'The Quarantine Zone'

@DMC has summed up what I was disputing about what @Melbourne wrote, thanks.

Just to note that describing it as an “oversimplification” is not appropriate. It’s a very widespread misconception that vaccines prevent disease but do not prevent transmission. And that’s precisely because of this kind of misreporting. Cautious scientists (or in this case the Autralian PM) may correctly say we don’t yet know how effective vaccination is at reducing transmission. That’s often reported incorrectly or ambiguously that we have affirmative knowledge that they do not reduce transmission, and many people have misunderstood this. Here are some examples:

And here’s somebody in another thread misunderstanding what we know about transmission because of the specific post by @Melbourne that’s under discussion here:

The reason we don’t know yet is because it’s much more difficult to directly study transmission to other people from a vaccinated cohort (to unknown other people) than to study the incidence of disease in the cohort itself. But there is a strong expectation (and a growing body of evidence) that any vaccine that is highly effective against disease will also significantly reduce transmission. And it would be shocking and terrible news for the world if this were not the case.

So I’m not just nitpicking, and I think it’s important to correct the error when we see it.

As for @Melbourne - well, my experience of this poster is a tendency to overreact into apoplexy when challenged on even the most minor of points, rather than concede any error. So I can’t say I’m particularly surprised at them taking the overreaction to another level with this ridiculous Pit thread.