Ring resizing technique?

No giggling at the back!

Recently married, my lovely wife took my wedding ring to the high street jewellers where it was bought today - I wanted it reduced, if possible, by half a ring-size.

We were expecting the shop to have to send it away to a workshop to have a little slice of metal removed, the ring then welded back together, and rebuffed to perfection.

Instead, a man at the counter immediately disappeared to a backroom for about ten minutes, and returned with the ring, claiming to have shrunken it by the desired amount.

It looks/feels identical to me, the Mrs didn’t ask what technique the man had used - and it wasn’t a scam as such, as there was no charge, and an offer to adjust the ring further if need be. Is there some easy non-metallurgical backroom resizing process this bloke could (claim to) have used?

Video showing one way how it can be done - link.

Thanks for that - I’d only seen videos of people doing the welding thing, whereas it seems you can just crush the ring smaller.

Maybe the man didn’t squeeze my ring hard enough; or perhaps my ring-finger has withered in recent days, as it’s still a bit loose.

Yes ring re-sizing techniques are there. Ring sizing is one of the most common procedures bench jewelers perform. It’s mostly done by cutting the ring’s shank and reducing or enlarging it. However, some ring designs make common techniques less useful.

I want to know if you can resize my ring which is a 9 to a 7 1/2 and how much it would cost?

A local jeweler near where you live can do it for a few dollars unless it’s a really weird design.