Rinsing Ground Beef? Dear God, why, Why?!

Okay, this is a bit on the tangential side, but I have to share how messed up my brain has become after 4 years of the Trump presidency: I honestly read that as “The sauce was always a deep orange from the hamberder fat.”

My first that was, “why did TRC4941 write it that way, it’s not really much of a joke in this context.”

When I looked and saw that they had written “hamburger,” my second thought was, “so why did I read a perfectly accurate, contextually appropriate word the wrong way?”

Then I focused on the word “orange,” and I knew.

I hope time will cure me of this condition.

Rinsing the cooked ground beef was standard procedure in the restaurant I worked in in high school, when we were making lasagna. I guess the extra fat content would have affected the lasagna in an undesirable way.

I wouldn’t likely do this myself at home, but I could see it if you were adding meat to another dish and wanted more control over the final product.

This past year in particular has made me finally understand those folks who lived through the Great Depression, who decades later still saved everything they could, rather than throw anything out, since it “might be useful later”. I can feel myself developing attitudes to being in public that I’m pretty sure will take a long time to change.

20+ years back, I read an article on how to get the most possible fat out of your ground beef. From memory:

First, you cook up the meat in some kind of lower-saturated-fat oil. The theory was that this would replace the saturated fat with the unsaturated fat from the oil.

Then you drain this concoction but save the fat.

And you rinse it some with water, and save THAT as well.

Then you put the drained fat, and drained rinse water, in the fridge to cool. Once it’s chilled, you skim the fat off the top and you’re left with some vaguely beef-flavored water.

Finally, you add that water back to the ground beef and simmer the result on the stove until the water is basically gone. This returns as much of the flavor back to the beef as possible, that was leached away by the previous mistreatment.

I read the article in some fascination, then decided it was bullcrap and any benefits would be easier to meat by just EATING LESS MEAT.

And I’ll be darned: here’s a link to one article on doing this;

There are actually loads of articles out there suggesting the rinsing step. I don’t bother, personally, though if it’s not ultra-lean stuff I will usually at least strain it.

That’s where my wife and I have gone. Years ago I used to shoot for a 1/4-pound of beef on each plate of spaghetti. Now we’re down to eight ounces on six plates, so that’s…[reaches for calculator] 1.33 ounces per plate. We don’t worry about rinsing the meat.

Meh. I do this sometimes depending on what it’s going in. I don’t buy leaner meat because I’m a Poor and I get the big chub o’cheap when it’s on sale plus I have a coupon. I rinse it when I’m making a dish I don’t want grease in, like soup and my baked egg rolls.
And yes I could JUST NOT EAT MEAT but I like the meat and I like it drained so there ya go. I usually drain it, rinse it, then stick it back in the skillet to scorch up a bit before I add it to whatever. I like it. Kids like it.

Pretty much the same here. The vet recommended browning then boiling ground beef to make it pretty much 100% protein.