RIP Bob Bogle

Bob Bogle of the Ventures has passed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/arts/music/17bogle.html?hp

The Ventures were my inspiration, and I’m sure for many others to pick up and learn to play the guitar.

Yeah - I have been following up on the articles, too. Bummer.

I enjoyed playing Walk Don’t Run when I was just learning guitar…and those Mosrite Ventures model guitars were funky-cool, especially when Johnny Ramone made one his signature guitar!

That bodes well. I just started learning the guitar, and that would be a great song to play. If and when I can, I’ll remember him. (Found the tab online; I’m not quite there yet, but it doesn’t look impossible.)

And a hometown connection, too. Tacoma doesn’t have a lot of claims to fame. It’s sad to lose one. It sounds like he achieved what he wanted to and then some, though.

My Dad and I danced to “Sleepwalk” at my wedding because the song “transports” him.

My all time favorite Christmas album was The Ventures’ Christmas. I drove my Mom crazy with it!

:frowning:

It was only a couple years ago that I learned (thanks to Pandora) that Surf music was wayyyy more than a couple novelty tunes and begged to be listened to.

RIP

I remember listening to a Ventures album (probably New Testiment) in the early 70s when I was in college. At the time, they were considered as quaint and passe as Paul Whiteman* is now. But the album was a major surprise to me – great songs well played. It wasn’t “Hawaii-Five-O,” but it really showed a great mix of styles (Led Zeppelin and Cat Stevens covers, for instance). Since then, I’ve appreciated the group.

*The King of Jazz. His name was also a description.

:frowning:

It was only a couple years ago that I learned (thanks to Pandora) that Surf music was wayyyy more than a couple novelty tunes and begged to be listened to.

RIP

“Walk Don’t Run”
“Hawaii Five-0”
“The Wah-Watusi”
“Perfidia”
“Hernando’s Hideaway”

The Ventures 45th Anniversary Live