RIP Joe Alaskey, voice actor Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, and others.

Joe Alaskey, Emmy-award winning actor who voiced several Looney Tunes and Tiny Toon characters, has passed away from cancer at 63. He got his start voicing Yosemite Sam in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? He played Plucky Duck inTiny Toon Adventures, voiced Tweety and Sylvester in The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, and won an Emmy as Daffy Duck in the Duck Dodgers TV series. He did both Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck in the movie Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

Thuffferin’ thuccatash.

He’s the guy who voiced those characters after Mel Blanc. Not the original.

Still a great voice actor, don’t get me wrong, but those were originally Mel. “That’s all Folks.”

I think everyone who knows anything about cartoon voices realizes Mr. Blanc’s contributions in the field, and it’s not like anyone stole Mel’s thunder here, what with him already having died, unfortunately.

And not even all of those roles were former Blanc characters. Plucky Duck for instance (though I’m more partial to the younger version of Plucky, “elalator go down the hoooooole”, and I’m not sure who voiced him, but probably not Mr. Alaskey I would guess).

Dat weawwy bwows.

I never represented Alaskey as the original voice actor. I remember Blanc well and appreciate his legacy. However, Alaskey did voice Yosemite Sam while Blanc was still alive because the character put too much stress on his (Blanc’s) voice. And Alaskey and Jeff Bergman were the two most prolific of all of the actors who handled Mel’s characters after his death.