Rip NRA? :D

I’m not going to keep pointing out what’s in your own link you provided, where the AG lists various laws broken (state and federal). If your contention is that the AG is full of crap, maybe so, I have no idea. But if that’s the case then this whole discussion is probably moot.

Sigh. Do I have to explain yet again the difference between CIVIL and CRIMINAL charges? Yes, she is alleging the NRA violated several/many CIVIL violations. For which she is SUING them . Instead of CRIMINAL violations for which she would be indicting them.

Do you have any links or cites to CRIMINAL Indictments?

Do you know the difference between a CIVIL lawsuit and a CRIMINAL Indictment? Apparently not, since you, as you say “…going to keep pointing out …”.

The National Rifle Association is battling in court on two fronts to move a high-profile lawsuit brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James aiming to dissolve the gun-rights group out of New York City.” bolding etc mine

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns/national-rifle-association-files-for-bankruptcy-seeking-to-escape-new-york-lawsuit-idUSKBN29K2LV

"The NRA was sued in August by New York Attorney General Letitia James,…In her lawsuit, James said the NRA’s incorporation as a nonprofit in New York gave her authority to seek its dissolution.
Please show me where in any cite, anywhere, James is filing any criminal charges or indictments. She is just suing them. Now yes, in a Civil lawsuit you can allege fraud, but even if you win the suit, you have not proven fraud.

Nor does the STATE AG have anything at all to do with Federal charges.

[quote=“Odesio, post:12, topic:930635”]
I used to be a member of the NRA but their increasing loyalty to the Republican party and their incessant fearmongering turned me away.[/quote]

I guess they shot themselves in the foot.

In what way are you penalizing all the members by punishing the organization?

The NY State AG wants to shut down the NRA, dontchaknow. The members will lose all benefits that have paid for.

Which would be the fault of the NRA, of course,

I am not contesting any of that. My point is that the basis of the suit is that behavior has occurred that has criminal implications. I am well aware of the difference between civil and criminal cases; for one thing, the threshold is much higher in a criminal case, where the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. In a civil case, the plaintiff only has to prove that the defendant is guilty due to a preponderance of the evidence. That is far easier to prove. For example, OJ Simpson was not convicted of murdering his ex-wife in a criminal court, but he was successfully sued in a wrongful death lawsuit afterward.

But my point is that there are allegations of criminal misconduct. Those allegations, if true, might lead to criminal charges somewhere down the line if there is enough evidence to charge them. And if that ends up happening this bankruptcy won’t affect that. That was my entire point from the beginning. Maybe the federal government is already putting a case together?

I realize that the AG can’t bring federal charges, and never said that they could. You’re attacking a strong man by repeatedly refuting a statement I never made. I only said that the AG has alleged it.

If after all is said and done, the NRA really hasn’t committed any crimes, nothing they could be charged with, then I don’t see what the big deal is. I 100% agree with your statement here:

I think we are pretty much in agreement but we’ve been talking past each other, unfortunately. :frowning:

They’re pretty influential in white supremacist gun owner circles.

Thanks to her recent attempt to get Pelosi killed, many people have heard of Lauren Boebert. She was previously most famous for multiple arrests and marrying a man who thought showing teenage girls his penis was a good idea. Yeah, GOA endorsed her.

Remember the mass murder in the Aurora, CO movie theater? The leader of the GOA thought it was a false flag operation.

And, of course they think poor little Kyle Rittenhouse was acting in self defense and are raising money for his defense.

Oh, and remember “English First”? Yeah, the long-time head of the GOA was the founder.

Larry Pratt is smart enough to appear moderate when necessary, but we’ll just say he hangs around with a lot of less than savory types.

But hey, at least pkbites is quite a fan and a member. They have that going for them.

Right, the moves (relocation/bankruptcy) are to forestall the part about dissolution of “NRA” as a corporate entity, and to keep Team LaPierre in control of its assets.

Given that Wayne LaPierre is in part responsible for the financial issues, perhaps the best thing for the organization would be for him to be forced out.

You’ll have to pry those stolen millions out of Wayne’s cold, dead… well, you get the idea.

I can agree with that, and i do feel that the leadership are a bunch of degenerate conmen. Not to mention the NRA has gone well off the rails of what it used to stand for.

So are you willing to concede that, perhaps, Letitia James’s concerns were valid?

Concede? No, since I have stated that. But just because a couple of the leaders of the NRA are scum, that doesnt mean you get to dissolve a 5 million member 150 year old org due to a couple bad actors and the fact that you, personally promised to take down the NRA as part of your election platform.

What disturbs me is that the only action she has taken is trying to dissolve the NRA, which has no legal precedent (yes, a few bogus NP orgs have been taken down, but they were new, organized to be fraud, were always fraud and nothing but fraud all the way down) instead of bring criminal fraud charges against those bad actors.

I dont like what the NRA has become, but she has gone too far.

I would assume that they filed taxes in NY as well, and that as part of filing NY taxes, their federal tax returns would have been included in the filing, in which case the NY State Department of Revenue would have those Federal returns and the AG of a State getting State tax returns, that includes your Federal filings, is not a huge deal. So the AG of NY would have evidence, just no jurisdiction to pursue federal tax fraud. But could pursue NY State tax fraud if she desired.

Sure, but she isnt.

Sure, it does create a question of how come the most visible action has been the corporate dissolution suit, rather than suits and/or charges to go directlyafter those who may have been specifically responsible for any irregularities or illegal acts. On that…

Up until now nothing seems to have worked for that. To the contrary what has happened is that those in the leadership who would push back have been the ones forced out or have given up on it and left. So James may have been angling for that threatening the corporation’s own continued existence would finally force an uprising to throw LaPierre & Co. under the bus. Instead it’s obvious they are in firm control and will act to preserve themselves.

Her argument for seeking dissolution was that the organization itself has been so thoroughly corrupted that removing LaPierre, or removing a handful of top officers, will be insufficient to reform it. Her lawsuit attempts to lay out how the Board circled the wagons to push out any dissidents who threatened to expose the corruption. At that point, you’re talking about removing the entire leadership cadre, the entire board, and whichever members of staff participated, and who does that leave?

Five million members.

And some more news:

A major donor to the National Rifle Association is poised to challenge key aspects of the gun group’s bankruptcy filing, in an attempt to hold executives accountable for allegedly having defrauded their members of millions of dollars to support their own lavish lifestyles.

Dave Dell’Aquila, a former tech company boss who has donated more than $100,000 to the NRA, told the Guardian on Saturday he was preparing to lodge a complaint in US bankruptcy court in Dallas, Texas. If successful, it could stop top NRA executives discharging a substantial portion of the organisation’s debts. It could also stop Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s controversial longtime chief executive, avoiding ongoing lawsuits that allege he defrauded the pro-gun group’s members to pay for luxury travel to the Bahamas and Europe and high-end Zegna suits.

Probably good news. But they are declaring bankruptcy largely to avoid penalties in New York. Moving to Texas. Not like they won’t be around, possibly with a more honest executive board.