Rip NRA? :D

And those five million members will still be around, and will be perfectly free to form a new group with new leadership. They’re not being punished at all.

Good. LaPierre needs to be gone. Unless of course one of the ‘member benefits’ is continuing to pay for his expensive clothing, vacations and posh digs.

In fact, they might just come out ahead.

And nobody collecting dues, publishing the magazines, maintaining the membership lists, running the hunter education programs, or paying for any of this stuff (or with any authority to pay for any of this stuff). THERE is the problem: it’s not really the NY AG’s job to run the organization for them, but if everybody gets removed, the organization won’t run itself, or even be able to hold elections to vote in a new board.

Not so. There are a lot pro-gun groups at the national, state, and local levels. Many gun owners find it tedious to have multi-memberships, dues, news letters, etc to keep track of and just picked the biggest to join. I have a GOA recruitment station in my shop. I strongly encourage customers to join and remind them of how the NRA doesn’t fight hard enough to defend it’s members civil liberties and has rolled over and played dead om several issues. They’ve done this both before and after the 1977 uprising.

The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington.

I think he meant which chapter of bankruptcy. CNN says it’s chapter 11.

No compromise? does that apply to convicted murderers? weapons of mass destruction?
(This is not the place to debate what the limit should be, just curious what limits, if any, the GOA are OK with)

Brian

I gave you the website. Do some research. :slight_smile:

I will point out that means we have to go to a webpage, get cookies, history, and what not.

Now, since you “have a GOA recruitment station in my shop. I strongly encourage customers to join” I would assume you know quite a bit about it.

OTOH, this could turn into a hijack.

Yeah, for the purposes of this thread IMO it should be enough to know there are organizations around that would seek to fill the vacuum if “NRA-as-we-know-it” ceased to exist or were severely diminished. Also, mentioned in earlier threads on the subject, the LaPierre team has been criticized for tending to live off past organization glories and to claim the fruits of others’ work, so it would be a question of whether whoever filled the void may actually be more effective hard workers.

In earlier threads on this subject I mentioned that a result of the suits could be a divestment of the NRA so that the centenarian gun safety and training side splits from the Republican PAC side and different pieces including the brand-name rights would go to different entities. Chapter 11 seems a way to try and prevent that from happening so what emerges from the reorganization can still claim to be “The” NRA.

If I may ask an un-informed question - what benefits do the members of the NRA get?

In the 80s, my father was an NRA member. He joined a hunting club nearby to hunt pheasant, and the club enrolled him in the NRA; part of their fees paid his dues. Once he stopped hunting all together, the NRA membership dropped, too. I don’t know of any benefits he got from the NRA, other than the lobbying efforts that I don’t think he entirely agreed with.

Read an article on the bankruptcy over the weekend; I found it humerus that in their court documents they say they have assets between X and Y, and debts between X and Y (the same X and Y); how the hell can they claim bankruptcy? Wayne LaPierre is a complete rectum. He has been for any number of years. The rank and file NRA members should be marching on New York (or wherever his offices are) and running him out of office.

Well, they are well-armed.

It’s been a while for me, but you got your choice of subscription to one of two magazines (one of them was American Rifleman), you were eligible for numerous discounts to services from businesses including hotels, car rentals, and more I just can’t remember, and you had access to a little extra death & dismemberment insurance. But the main draw is that you’d be helping lobby against gun control measures. I joined the NRA in 1994 a few months before the Public Safety and Recreational Firearm Use Protection Act which is most famous for the provisions banning so-called assault weapons.

My brother claims to have joined the NRA (and AARP and AAA) solely for the discounts. I’m skeptical whether it’s worthwhile, as a Google search says the membership fee is $45 annually, and I expect that the three groups all offer the same discounts.

N9IWP post was a strawman. I would rather not turn someone else’s thread into a gun control debate nor a forum to defend a group dedicated to protecting civil liberties, and does so better than the NRA. I gave the information and leave it to you to decide.

Now buy something or get out of my store! :smile:

I want that .22 Hornet revolver, got one? :stuck_out_tongue:

No. Taurus revolvers don’t move very well here. Especially right now. Revolver sales are dismal. Everyone and their brother are buying semi-auto pistols, mostly 9mm.

In fact, now might be the time to buy a revolver as they aren’t moving as well and the wholesale prices haven’t jumped. I recommend the Ruger LCR in 327 magnum. It’s a snubby but holds six rounds, and will accept a variety of calibers from 32 up to 327. Federal 327 magnum is a good defense round. The ammo isn’t used in a lot of popular firearms so it’s available unlike other calibers. I’m not a big revolver guy but it’s a really nice pocket gun.

That was a little joke- I dont really need another gun, I have my old service pistol and that is all I need, but that is one weird mofo handgun. I like weird guns.

If I did I’d get a .44 Special Charter arms. Or maybe the CA .32magnum .

Bankruptcy is the right to be protected from your creditors. If appeasing your creditors would require you to liquidate 100 percent of your assets and turn it all over to your creditors, then that’s exactly what bankruptcy protection is for.

My experience is that indeed the usual practice of merchants who offer affinity-group discounts is to do one standard discount for whatever group. And you don’t get to double/triple-dip, you get to pick one.