Rip NRA? :D

You’re right, that is a weird gun; the barrel is so long it looks like something out of a cartoon. Seems popular for “huntin’ varmints”.

In the case of an organization like the Boy Scouts, members have access to significant property that they in small part (often very small) helped build, and stand to lose that. But if that’s even the case here, I expect it’s much smaller.

Although I’m not certain “punish” is the right word, regardless.

At one time, at least, NRA membership automatically came with a certain amount of free insurance coverage for your guns ($2500, I think), which covers fire, theft, and a few other common losses, and you can still buy firearms insurance for more valuable collections. Since a lot of homeowner/renter policies have very low limits on firearms, this can be attractive. For the worried/paranoid, there’s also perhaps less anxiety about telling the NRA’s insurer how many and what guns you own than in telling State Farm or American Family. Their insurer also offers specialty liability insurance for gun stores, shooting ranges, swap meets, and the like.

I will leave the benefits of the NRA Cigar Club for others to assess.

BUMP.

Just stumbled upon this. I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned on this Board yet.

NRA Bankruptcy trial began today, Monday April 5 2021.

News article:

Twitter follow-along thread:

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a yacht.

It might be that the best way to stop a guy is with his own mouth, tho:

The US bankruptcy trustee has opined that the NRA’s bankruptcy petition should be dismissed and/or an external monitor appointed.

Lisa L. Lambert, a lawyer in the United States Trustee’s office, which is part of the Justice Department, said the “evidentiary record clearly and convincingly establishes” that Wayne LaPierre, the longtime N.R.A. chief executive, “has failed to provide the proper oversight.” For a number of years, she added, “the record is unrefuted that Wayne LaPierre’s personal expenses were made to look like business expenses.”

“The N.R.A. is in real trouble,” said Adam J. Levitin, a professor specializing in bankruptcy at Georgetown University. “The U.S. Trustee rarely gets involved in this sort of motion, much less urges dismissal, a trustee or an examiner. I cannot see an outcome where the N.R.A. comes out unscathed. I think the real issue is what remedy the judge grants.”