RIP Walter Becker (Steely Dan)

I take one last drag as I approach the stand.

Thanks for sharing that!:slight_smile:

He was absent from July’s Classic East and West festivals at which his Steely Dan partner Donald Fagen performed.

Here’s Fagen’s statement, which concludes, “I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.”

RIP, Walter. The girls don’t seem to care at all, as long as the mood is right.

Absolutely this. In sheer brilliance, nobody could compare with the Beatles but Steely Dan. And just like them, they have an almost flawless body of work. They were just always so, well, tasteful, musically, perfectly matched with the most clever and witty lyrics except maybe Elvis Costello’s. RiP Walter Becker, and Donald, please carry on.

Where were all you guys when someone was calling them “yacht rock” on threads here and I was fighting for my life.

Ya think Steely Dan will be placed in the coffin?

That’s been the bands inside joke for such a long time. It may need to be retired too.

I quoted Donald Fagen in my post above.

The music deserves to continue.

I’m going to watch for the next tour and perhaps get a chance to see the band live.

Right here. A search on my name and Steely Dan finds 35 threads in Cafe Society dating back to 2002.

I’m a Dan man.

This is really bad, Steely Dan were way before my time vut I loved some of their stuff. Both Walter and Donald were talented musicians who really understood music, not just writing sons game and playing an instrument. They understood the science of music.

Anyways rest in peace.

Vale Walter! You are not forgotten.

I actually started a thread here once where I claimed that as much as I loved the Beatles I had to admit I thought they sounded like a garage band compared to Steely Dan. The board’s musicians pointed out to me that it was the Beatles’ extraordinary way with melody that made them the better band, and also that much of Steely Dan’s music was the result of their use of hired guns in the way of studio musicians rather than being written and performed by regular members of Steely Dan, which of course had long been only Becker and Fagen. Still, it was Fagen and Becker’s writing that created the songs and they brought in the musicians who they felt would produce the type of sound they wanted in each song’s passages. Then they edited like crazy, picking out bits of this player’s contribution and that player’s contribution until they got the exact sound they were going for. To me this requires just as much skill and musicianship as would be required had they actually played the various instruments themselves. And like somebody upthread already mentioned, the Beatles themselves were known to use outside musicians in the recordings. So long story short, I remain convinced of the Beatles superiority when it comes to melody, but that feeling they sound like a garage band compared to Steely Dan lingers.

I mentioned this in the death pool thread, but I got to see Steely Dan perform live three years ago this summer. I had a great seat about 50 to 60 feet in front of Donald Fagen and a little off to his left (my right) which gave me an unobstructed view of Fagen without his keyboards or mic in the way, and of Becker who stood center stage. (It should be noted I also had a great view of Carolyn Leonhart, a gorgeous longtime backup singer who was positioned exactly in front of me.) I felt badly for Becker when the time came to introduce the band. Becker introduced all but Fagen one by one and each member drew considerate and appropriately spirited applause. When Becker introduced himself, he also drew considerate and spirited applause. But when he finally introduced Fagen the place went nuts, with every single person in the place on their feet and applauding nonstop until Becker finally stepped in to quiet everyone down by introducing the next song. I imagine he was long used to Fagen getting the lion’s share of applause, but still…

And equally coincidentally, I for some reason began playing my copy of Two Against Nature while I was out doing yard work yesterday and enjoyed it so much that I played it twice yesterday and another time today. This was all before I heard of Becker’s passing. I hadn’t played that album in years prior to yesterday. Almost spooky.

I feel I should mention here Donald Fagen’s second album, Kamakiriad which was produced by Becker and which featured Becker on guitar and bass. Fagen and Becker toured as Steely Dan to promote the album.

W.Becker’s Resolutions, Jan. 1, 1997

1. Don’t fuck anybody, ever. It’s not worth it.

2. Lose 50 or so lbs. ASAP (see resolution lists from last seven years)

3. Get even with all the assholes. Remember: vengeance is the best revenge.

4. Learn how to play “St Louis Tickle” and “Dallas Rag” on the acoustic guitar.

5. Develop a sense of entitlement (whether I deserve it or not)

6. Throw away my entire wardrobe and start over. By popular request

7. Start something new and stick with it. “1997 - the year I finally learned how to sight read!” - sounds nice, doesn’t it?

8. For god’s sake don’t buy any more guitars. Unless, you know, something really special turns up…

9. Make donation to American Liver Foundation. just in case.

10. Return a few phone calls, once in a while. Just to keep’ em guessing

11. “Thank You” note to Howard Rose, one that covers the last six or so Christmases

12. Get over this silly website thing and get back to work. Before it’s too late

Mostly because their worst stuff was their most popular. If Reeling or Rikki comes on the air I change the channel. Most of their other music I could listen to all day. The Royal Scam is one of the most perfect albums ever recorded.

I remember reading that Becker and Fagen felt much the same; that Reelin’ was a foot-in-the-door throwaway for them.

It’s still worth hearing, though, if only to marvel at Elliot Randall’s guitar work. That he was able to improvise those solos in a single take represents a level of craftsmanship that’s almost unique.

But then, Becker and Fagen consistently got brilliant performances out of their ensemble. For a musician to even get a call to audition for them must’ve been really very flattering.

It’s sad that he’s gone, but by God, he did a good job.

That hits me more than I expected. I’m 67 and a guitarist and I’m impressed with his guitar mastery.

Reel in the years Walt, RIP.

I think it was just ignorance actually. Does that really happen around here?

Their great songs and their hits are not in different classes of work.

My brother attended Wiliam and Mary shortly after “My Old School” was released. One of his classmates, in the process of transferring to another college, had a t-shirt made with the slogan “William And Mary Won’t Do”.

Brian Sweet’s biography, Steely Dan, gives a close-up look at their recording sessions. They were perfectionistic and even neurotic. They regularly drove the musicians crazy, especially drummers whom they treated as click tracks. It almost always worked, though.

I don’t want to hijack too badly, but this business about the Beatles using outside musicians seems to come up more often lately. We know everyone who ever played on a Beatles album. Eric Clapton played on one song. Nicky Hopkins played on one song. Billy Preston was around only their last year or so. George Martin contributed lots of keyboards. Compare them to any other British band of the time and their sound is overwhelmingly better, thanks to Martin’s production. (There’s a site I can’t now find that plays other groups’ contemporary versions of songs that the Beatles wrote but didn’t include on albums against BBC and demo recordings. The Beatles always sound better than the finished product of others.) Essentially, though, the four of them played their own music, with sweetening from orchestra members.

So did Steely Dan for the first three albums. Not until they stopped touring and let the band go did they turn to session musicians. The jump is huge. The Royal Scam and Katy Lied are, IMO, their best albums. *Aja *and *Gaucho *are overproduced. (Though you will have to pry “Hey, Nineteen” out of my cold, dead headphones.) There’s no bad Dan music, just better and extraordinary Dan music. Same is true for the Beatles. But they were of different recording eras, and direct comparisons are difficult and misleading.