Rita Hayworth on TCM

She’s the Star of the Month for April, so every Tuesday TCM is featuring several of her films. Coming up tomorrow:
The Lady From Shanghai (1948)
Cover Girl (1944)
You’ll Never Get Rich (1941)
Down to Earth (1947)
Tonight and Every Night (1945)
Music In My Heart (1940)

April 17, all with Glenn Ford:
Gilda (1946)
The Lady in Question (1940)
Affair in Trinidad (1952)
The Loves of Carmen (1948)
The Money Trap (1966)
Rita (documentary)

April 24:
Pal Joey (1957)
Salome (1953)
Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)
Separate Tables (1958)
Fire Down Below (1957)

Haven’t seen all of them. but of those I’ve seen I highly recommend Cover Girl, You’ll Never Get Rich (with Fred Astaire), Down to Earth (Hayworth as Terpsichore in a loose sequel to Here Comes Mr. Jordan) , Affair in Trinidad and of course Gilda is required viewing. Heretically, I can’t recommend The Lady From Shanghai. Yeah it’s a classic and that final scene is genius and blah blah blah but I’ve sat through it twice and I just find it boring.

I’m surprised they are not showing Blood and Sand.

Were any of these prior to her having had her hairline changed? She was not a natural redhead and her natural hairline was lower on her forehead. She was beautiful either way, but absolutely stunning by the time she was in Gilda.

*Gilda *is one of my alltime favorite movies, and absolutely essential viewing. If you like Casablanca, you’ll love Gilda: it’s like Casablanca, but with a sense of humor.

*Lady from Shanghai *is equally essential, but weird. Dave Kehr pointed out that it may be the only comedy-noir.

No. They had last week’s lot from earlier in her career, which I missed, but her hairline was altered very early.

i seem to remember either from her own biography or one written about her, that the studio wanted to downplay any possible ethnicity and had her hairline raised by elctrolysis, or whatever they used back in the day, and the color lightened.

‘cansino’ obviously got tossed in favor of ‘hayworth,’ altho i don’t recall where the stage name came from.

and the *lady from shanghai * is better than you think. :wink:

For reasons I have yet to fathom, Comcast of NW NJ or whatever it’s called will not carry TCM. However, you can get a minute selection of TCM selections on “On Demand”. I watched “Cover Girl” the other night - enjoyed the hell out of it.

I also watched “You Were Never Lovelier” a while back - fun, fun, fun. I love the clothes (Eve Arden’s violet-strewn muff & snood in “CG” especially) and Rita was so lovely.

VCNJ~

When they showed “Only Angels Have Wings”, I was so interested in the airplanes that I didn’t even notice Rita’s hairline. Or even recognize her.

MMMMM Rita!