My ma’s an S.O.B
My grandpa’s always plastered
My grandma pushes tea

Became

My Daddy beats my Mommy
My Mommy clobbers me
My Grandpa is a Commie
My Grandma pushes tea

Bad language is out, but wife and child abuse and drug pushing is acceptable?

Yep, those were the days. Old fashioned values :stuck_out_tongue:

It will be interesting to see how this remake pans out. I worked at a movie theater when WSS was re-released in 1968. It drew big crowds and still held up quite well. There are some interesting stories about the original movie. Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer both hated the film, and each other. The only time they spoke was when they were doing a scene together. Wood read the script, thought the character of Maria was too sweet for her, and tried to get out of it, but alas, she was obligated. She wanted her friend Warren Beatty cast as Tony, and never accepted Beymer, who she thought was a lightweight. Beymer disliked the film so much he walked out of the London premiere. Given all that tension, it’s a wonder it came out as well as it did. I’ve always thought the real stars of WSS were Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, Russ Tamblyn and the forgotten Tucker Smith. Excellent casting!

Wasn’t “tea” just marijuana? That’s hardly a negative these days.

Not now, but marijuana was illegal and seen as a “gateway” drug back when WSS story was made. I’ve always wondered if the censors even knew what “pushing tea” meant.