Rock concert atire

I’ve always heard that at a concert, you don’t want to be wearing the shirt of the band you’re there to see. A little weird if you ask me, but whatever. A few months ago, I was at a Godsmack concert, noticed quite a few people wearing Godsmack shirts, and asked my friend with considerably more concert-going experience. He tells me that if you buy the shirt at the show, or it’s a way, way old shirt, then you’re OK. Even weirder, but whatever. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I saw the Misfits. Solidly half the crowd had Misfits gear on, not much of which seemed either way old or brand new. This brings me to my first set of questions: Assuming you want to look cool, do you actually not want to wear the band’s gear? Or is this just something that is said and nobody gives two excrements about? Also, when bands have cult-like followings (Misfits, Grateful Dead, Phish, etc…) does this “rule” go even further out the window?

Second question, less philosophical: I’m going to Summer Sanitarium (Mudvayne, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Metallica) this afternoon and trying to figure out WTF to wear. It’s at the LA Coliseum, starts at 3, so it’ll be fairly hot, ruling out my usual boots, jeans, black shirt gear. Shorts with boots are frickin weird looking, wearing tennis shoes doesn’t seem fitting, going shirtless isn’t really an option for me. Any vague ideas?

Wear a drak-grey tweed three-piece suit with a white shirt, black bowtie, and big tweed newsboy cap. And go barefoot.

NEVER wear the tee shirt of the band you’re going to see…I dunno, this just seems WRONG to me on the visceral level.

I’ve been to dozens of Dead concerts, and there were always lots of Dead tee shirts to be seen. But I was almost always in Levi’s, stomp boots, a cotton shirt and black vest (and in fall or wintertime a secondhand tweed jacket). Standard urban hippiewear.

I still have the threadbare vest in my closet, in a reliquary.

jeans. t shirt. sunglasses. nobody really cares what’s on your feet. wear the boots if they’re comfortable. but i do advise against sandals.

. . . And don’t forget, your purse and shoes should match; or at least, the shoes should never be a lighter color than the purse.

I’ve been to tons of concerts. I kind of agree with your friend, if you buy the t-shirt there or if it’s a really old one it’s cool.

Also cool is a t-shirt of a different (and hopefully) obscure band.
Side note for lady concert goers… it’s coolest if you wear really skimpy tight clothes. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve heard one or two people say this, but not until after I’d been going to concerts for years. I’d venture to guess that the sort of people who say those sorts of things have not been going to concerts for years. At any rock concert, you are going to see fans wearing “fan gear” for that band. Serious fans (read: the geekiest rock geeks) can even get competitive about who has the best, rarest, most valuable, or oldest fan gear. Maybe some people think they’re too cool to look like a rock geek at a concert, but I think those people should just save their money and sit at home listening to a CD and being cool with their cool selves.

Now, something I think can be a little silly is wearing a shirt for a band other than the one you’re going to see. Not if the bands are in some way related or have similar fan bases, but I have seen Marilyn Manson shirts at Who reunion shows and it puzzled me a bit. What’s the message there, “I love bands”? But heck, they paid for the shirt, they can wear it where they like, and better at a Who show than at the Rainbow Room.

I’ve never heard of the rule that you’re not supposed to wear band-name gear at a concert. Most of the concerts I’ve been to had about half of the male attendants in clothing with band names on them. The cool chicks, of course, were in skimpy clothing - I don’t think anyone cares what’s printed on skimpy clothing :wink:

I went to the Summer Sanitarium concert in Montreal a few weeks ago. I felt out of place with what I had on: jeans, platform sandals and a ‘tarzan’ cream and black tank top (one shoulder strap). I think I was dressed too much for a bar than a concert.

The verdict: black rules. Wear a black shirt of any kind and you’ll be fine.

Well, isn’t wearing a shirt for the band you are going to see a little redundant? You don’t need to show support for the band … you already bought the ticket. I know you like them, you just paid to see them.

As for wearing t-shirts for other bands, I say why not? What message are they sending? That they like both the band they are seeing and the band they are wearing a t-shirt for. Maybe the t-shirt is for a less-than-well-known band and they are looking for other people who might like them for a discussion.

Either way, here’s my advice for what to wear to a show - whatever you want. Unless you are wearing something so completely outrageous that everyone will notice you, nobody’s gonna care.

Most out of place people I’ve ever seen at a concert:

Two boys in their late teens, in cheap silver Andy Warhol style wigs, fake black handlebar moustaches, and black trench coats. At an outdoor concert in the middle of August. I can only guess that it was a stunt or bet of some sort…or a truly pathetic attempt to convince the guys running the beer tent that they were over 21!

Obbligatory obscure movie reference, from PCU:

I went to see Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Fates Warning a few weeks ago, and saw a mix of shirts representing all kinds of bands. So some people follow the “rule,” others don’t.
Personally, I’d have worn my Dream Theater shirt from a past tour, if I’d have found it. Instead, I wore a Soul Coughing shirt from when they played my college, simply because it’s cool-looking and only about 30 were made.

What I wore to the Phish “It” festival last weekend, by Meaghan:

Black bra, white tank with a Phish patch, cut-off jeans over tie-dyed boxers, black and white striped thigh high socks and Airwalks. Oh, and a light-blue fake snakeskin cowboy hat. And a boa. I looked like I fell out of Chloe Sevigny’s closet, and got lots of compliments:) You can borrow this outfit if you want.

I was thinking of this quote when I opened this thread. For some reason I follow the rule sometimes. I try hard to find something “neutral” to wear. I have though on occasion worn a shirt promoting the band I’m seeing. The last Pantera concert I went to I had my brother and his wife wear matching Pantera shirts. They weren’t huge fans of the band and I told them it was cooler to wear these shirts. My brother has seen PCU and he said he didn’t want to be “that guy”.
But seriously, I’ve known the rule and no one has ever told me it. I just figured, its okay to wear a shirt you bought at the concert. Its not okay to wear a new shirt bought within the last year. Old concert tshirts just show your loyalty making you “cool”. Wearing a tshirt of a different band is okay in my eyes too. I don’t know why.

Oh and too the OP. I say go with boots. ALWAYS go with boots when you go to concerts. Your toes will thank you. Boots with shorts look weird looking? Well…yeah…but I’ve seen many people pull it off. Besides. I doubt people will notice much.

I second (third?) the wearing of boots. I think of it as a protective measure, especially when you’re on the floor. Lace them like skates; loose boots deafeat the purpose, depending on what situation you’ll be in.

My friends and I always thought of the “no-bandname-shirt-at-bandname’s-concert” maxim like this: You’re already showing support/fanship/enjoyment by being at the show; you needn’t kiss their ass by wearing their shirt.

As far as so-called “jam-band” concerts, maybe the fact that it’s as much of a scene as a show makes it condusive to same-band apparel—manufactured, homemade and otherwise?

Always wear cowboy boots.

Even at a punk or techno concert.

It’s the law at Southern rock, classic rock, or country concerts.
As for the performers… all I have to say is you should never play an upright bass in the nude if you’re a guy. Just fyi

When the local football team has a game, people go to the stadium wearing jerseys for our home team. Why? I mean, you live in this town, you’re going to the game, you’re cheering when they score a touchdown, do you really have to wear your team support literally on your sleeve?

Some of my friends are off at Otakon this weekend. It’s a big anime convention. A lot of them are dressing up in costume as anime characters. I understand a lot of people do that sort of thing at fan conventions. Why? Everyone there must know they like anime, they’re at an anime convention!

They do it because that’s what geeks do. Sports geeks, anime geeks, rock geeks…geeks is geeks, and geeks like to dress up. It’s fun. At least, it’s fun if you’re in to that sort of thing. If you’re not, you don’t have to do it. And maybe it is a little sad when people get carried away with silly things like that, but I think it’s a lot sadder to sit around worrying about the “rules” of concertwear or fretting that you’ll be “that guy”. This is rock and roll, people!

This is not to say it’s impossible to stick out like a sore thumb at a rock concert, just that you have to do a heck of a lot worse than wearing the wrong t-shirt. In that vein, here’s a description of the second most out of place person I’ve ever seen at a rock concert:

A young woman in a red-and-black ensemble consisting of a miniskirt, some kind of corset-like top, garters, fishnets, and heels. This would have been a great outfit for many concerts…but this was an early 1990s Pearl Jam concert. L7 was opening. It was also a benefit for the National Feminist Majority and Rock for Choice. I don’t know if she was trying to make a political statement or if she just hadn’t realized that the era of the hair metal band was drawing to a close.

Never heard this in my life. I saw The Dead tonight, and it seemed like everyone else was wearing either a Grateful Dead shirt, a Phil Lesh and Friends, a RatDog shirt, or a shirt paying tribute to Jerry Garcia.
I see the Allman Brothers regularly and always wear a band shirt - I’ve got four or five of them, people think I don’t own anything else. :wink: In fact, there’s one shirt I wear almost every time unless I see two shows in two nights (a 2001 shirt from the night I met Gregg Allman and some other band members). So I’m in gross violation of this alleged “rule.”

I think I can top that. There’s a particular Australia summer music festival that tours the nation every January/February (the height of the Australian summer). It’s almost a given that everyone turns up in the most outlandish and inappropriate costume they can think of. For instance, a this year’s event, I rubbed shoulders with a girl in a white replica Marilyn Monroe dress; a couple dressed as Batman and Spiderman; a group of kids dressed as road workers, complete with fluroescent vests and hard-hats; a sweaty guy in a Speedo; girls in bikinis and fluffy white ankle warmers; and a woman wearing what appeared to be clear plastic food wrap, her modesty preserved by strategically-placed duct tape.

Then again, I was wearing a white t-shirt with “GIFTED!” in letters across the front, and a cheap red cowboy hat, so I can’t exactly point a finger and laugh. :wink:

Shoes: what’s wrong with low-cut, casual shoes? Boots look pretty silly with shorts and make your feet hot (plus they get pretty waterlogged if the crowd is hosed down with water, which is common here in the heat.) I’m not talking about athletic shoes; here’s plenty of casual shoes that don’t look stupid with shorts and still provide enough feet protection. They’ll also prevent you from hurting other people’s feet.

Ah, but here your showing your support for your team over the other team. The jerseys are to let people barracking for the other team know that you’re here and you’re here to cheer for the Packers or the Chiefs or whatever. It’s an expression of solidarity for your team that goes with you when you’re taking a leak or buying a beer or going to your seat. You don’t have to wait to sit down.

At a cocnert, the band isn’t playing against anyone. People know that you’re there for them.

I’m a total rock geek, but I never wear the shirt for the band I’m about to see. I’ll generally wear a shirt of a different but more obscure band, just to establish my indie cool ;).

You are supposed to wear the home team’s colors at sporting events. Not necessarily official jerseys or even shirts with logos; anything of the same color will do.

That way the stands appear as a sea of the team’s color, which looks especially supportive when the tv camera does a wide shot of the crowd. For instance, you can if it’s the Giants or the Jets in Giants Stadium, even from the blimp, by whether the stands are blue or green. (Unless the Eagles come to town…then it’s a mix…“Damn You, Eagles fans and your 90-minute commute!!!”)

For a concert, I agree that black is your friend, unless you are seeing a jam-band like The Dead or Phish, when color is better. (Or just some white…diggin’ the sound of dinahmoe’s getup…humm indeed.)