Rock 'n Roll for the Attentionally Endowed

This is something I’ve been meaning to ask, but had never quite got around to it before. Query: What is your favorite long rock song?

(I’m sure Coldfire is gonna have a hard time choosing from the plethora of Rush pieces.)

My selection is slightly obscure:

“Thick as a Brick” by Jethro Tull. Clocks in at about 43 and a half minutes. (Sides one and two together.)

God is my co-pilot. Blame Him.

I’ll give it a 6, because I like the beat and it’s easy to dance to.

A Passion Play wasn’t a shabby bit of work either, as Ian Anderson magnum opuses go. (And it was damned hard not to fall for the ballerina on the back cover . . . )

Dr. Watson
“Dancer? What dancer?”

Of course, Keith Jarrett’s The Celestial Hawk doesn’t really count in this catagory, but it’ll bring a tear to the eye of even a hard core rock fan . . .

Dr. Watson
“Catagory Killer since 1957.”

“Thick as a Brick” is easy to dance to? Gee Doc, did you go to the Elaine Benes School of Dance?

Anywho, I haven’t got around to getting a copy of “Passion Play” yet. It’s good, huh? Great. Yet another title to add to my already lengthy wish list…

Come on people, Dark Side Of The Moon. Yeah it’s divided up into separate tracks, but it’s really one long song. Damn fine one too.

I’ll weigh in with the first Rush song, although I’m sure Coldy will be along shortly. “2112” - great song, and I am SO pissed I missed a chance to see it live on their last tour. Often turned it up full blast after a shitty day in college – might just go do that now. :slight_smile:

Winner, SDMB’s Biggest FEMALE Chat Addict (Happy, Jophiel?)

“Only two things that’ll soothe my soul - cold beer and remote control.”

I’ll go ahead and beat RealityChuck to the punch by mentioning the first Soft Machine song. :wink: Moon in June

Ah, but not all the all-day wonders are from the prog-rock crowd :slight_smile:

I am quite fond of The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again” – eight minutes plus, or about 45 minutes when they played it live – and Deep Purple’s “Lazy,” which runs about seven and a half minutes.

Catrandom

‘Supper’s Ready’, live version, by Genesis, runs a little over 22 minutes.

“Inna Gadda Da Vida” by Iron Butterfly…just because on a Simpson’s episode they sang it in church as a hymn (In the garden of eden…baby) The organist did a twenty minute solo and fainted after it…(she was old)…makes me laugh just to think about it.

–Gail
“Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.” --John Cleese

“Supper’s Ready” by Genesis outdoes all others.

As far as non-prog, “Whippin’ Post” by the Allman Brothers is pretty respectable.

Oh yeah. Now THIS is a topic!

I’ll second Falcon’s “2112” suggestion. Also, I’d like to add a few:

• Rush - Hemispheres (Cygnus X1, part II);
  • Rush - Cygnus X1 (This song is the DEFINITION of “playing as if your life depended on it”);
  • Yes - Soundchaser (this will get you high without any outside help - it is as amazing as it is absurd);
  • Marillion - Brave (actually, it’s a concept album with many great pieces, but I can’t really pick one - just buy the damn thing!);
  • Twelfth Night - The Collector (This is possibly my all-time favourite long track. Does anybody even KNOW this?? It is brilliant, every prog rock fan should check it out!);
  • Fates Warning - Monument;
  • Dream Theater - Metropolis, pt. I;
  • Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy Diamond;
  • Pink Floyd - High Hopes (proof that it is possible to write a brilliant PF song without the help of Waters);
  • Dire Straits - Telegraph Road.

Oh MAN, I could go on for hours. DAMN, I have great taste in music :smiley:

Coldfire
Voted Poster Most Likely To Post Drunk

WallyM7 on Coldfire:
"Yeah, he knows a little about everything because they have a good prison library."

Side 2 of “Abbey Road”.

The live version of “Free Bird”

Clapton had a long, live version of “Crossroads” that was awesome.

“American Pie”

Metallica - One

Add votes for Thick as a Brick and Shine on You Crazy Diamond, which were my first two thoughts.

Kinda too bad that modern drug habits won’t let the musicians go 20 minutes without heart failure or something… none of the groups I listen to go much past 5 any more.

http://www.madpoet.com
“I never meant to hurt you,” you said,
And buried yourself in lies instead.
Next time I would rather be slain,
Than forced to bear your mercy again.

Yeah. It really rocked! And did I mention that they also played Natural Science? How about the fact that it was a three hour set, with two encores?

Hehe. Falcon’s gonna kick my ass now. :smiley:

More from Rush: Hemispheres, Camera Eye, Xanadu, La Villia Strangiata(sp), Jacob’s Ladder, and a whole lot more that I can’t remember right now.

Iron Maiden: The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner.

SRV’s cover of: Voodoo Chile (A Slight Return).

Paul Oakenfold’s mix of Gamemaster.

New Order: Blue Monday.

Erasure’s extended remix of Stop!

A second vote for Dark Side Of The Moon. Oh yes.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

La Villa Strangiato

Heretic :smiley:

I’ll just say one thing. You’d better hope none of my flights to Texas go through Houston, hon. or I will kick yer ass. :slight_smile: wanders off, grumbling

Winner, SDMB’s Biggest FEMALE Chat Addict (Happy, Jophiel?)

“Only two things that’ll soothe my soul - cold beer and remote control.”

DAMN! I wish I had known all this when I was a disc jockey on the overnight shift. I could have had one helluva bathroom break.

What about Traffic’s “Low Spark of High Heeled Boys” clocking in at about 17 minutes? Not exactly a favorite but it did provide some relief.

ColdFire: Marillion, Fates Warning, and Dream Theatre! Man, that brings back memories! :slight_smile:

I remember I used to be surprised that Iron Butterfly would do hour-long versions of Inna-Godda-Da-Vida live. But then I thought: it’s Iron Butterfly. What else do they have to do on stage? Their other hit? :stuck_out_tongue:

How about Carnage Visors by the Cure? Or Tubular Bells? Does that count?

Your Quadell

Just to throw the curve off, Kuiama from Electric Light Orchestra II or possibly the version of Roll Over Beethoven from the same album.