"Rock On" (70's song) - Artist's Name? Lyrics?

Trying to find a song called “Rock On” is a bit of a nightmare. I remember a 70’s song called Rock On, but don’t remember who it was by or any of the lyrics. Help?

David Essex

Rock On - David Essex

This might help.

For those too lazy to click through, it appears that it was written by David Essex, released with the “help of” Jeff Wayne. The implication seems to be that Mr. Essex also performed said song. :slight_smile:

8 minutes? Not too bad… Was hoping for under 5 :smiley:

Thanks guys! Rock on!

A good bar bet question, in the U.S., is “Name the artist who had the #1 hit ‘Rock On’”. The answer is Michael Damian, a since forgotten singer who topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1989 with a remake of the song. (David Essex’s 1974 original only got to #5 in the U.S.)

How high did the Smashing Pumpkins version get? :smiley:

I had trouble several years back locating the original release of this ditty on cd but eventually found it on one of those “Greatest Hits of 19xx” releases. Hope that helps.

Forgotten singer, perhaps. But do you recall Michael Damian in his classic role on The Young and the Restless, as rocker Danny Romalotti?

God I love the Pumpkins’ version. Jimmy’s drumming is like nothing else on this earth.