Rock, Paper, Scissors

Referee suspended for using rock/paper/scissors to decide kickoff in Women’s Super League

I prefer, “Engine, Engine #9:smiley:

weird. Suspension seems excessive, but rules are rules I guess.

I think the funny part is that the rules violation is that FIFA and the IFAB require a coin toss. No other random choosers allowed! :smiley:

I think that it would have been massively entertaining if the two captains, by sheer chance, kept throwing the same thing over and over again, giving the referee just that much longer to stand there, stewing in his embarrassment.

I’ve never been able to figure out how getting the ball first could possibly make a difference. There can’t have been that many goals made from the initial possession.

Indeed, the “winner” of the toss doesn’t choose whether or not to take the ball first. The “winner” simply selects what direction they want to go the first half. The “loser” is given the first kick of the ball (Law VIII). This change to the way the law used to read reflects the relative importance of the two options in the eyes of the footballing world.

There certainly aren’t many but there are more than the number of own goals conceded by the team that is in possession from the kickoff.