"Rockstar Games", you are all a bunch of f'ing cowards.

Rockstar to cave to pressure and cut out all references to Hatians in future copies of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Well, my copy of Vice City just started massively appreciating in value.

While it does say that the particular “Kill all the Haitians” remarks will be removed, it doesn’t say anything about “all references the Haitians” as you claim. I doubt they will completely remove the Haitians, but it will more likely be the changing of dialogue to something like “Kill the bastards” or “Kill these fucking Haitians, just these ones right here shooting at us, not all Haitians in general because the Haitians are a wonderful and completely non-litigious people who appreciate the value of a quote taken in context.”

Okay, maybe not that last one. What a crock.

There was hurt and anger in the Haitian community? As a member of that community, why was I not informed?! Oh, how I could have reveled in righteous indignation…
Seriously though, there’s parodies of damn near everything in that game. What’s next? Are we gonna take the fat people out of Vice City because they’re offensive to our overweight constituencies? Will the AARP make us take out the old people because it’s possible to kill them and therefore Rockstar Games is condoning and encouraging the murder of our elderly in a rampant case of ageism?

Gimme a fuckin break. :rolleyes:

Wow.

I don’t post much, and certainly never in the Pit, but being a hardcore gamer I feel compelled to chime in on this one.

I think it’s really sad that Rockstar has decided to do this. I certainly have nothing against Haitians or anything but I can’t help but fear this is the first step in a possible long series of attacks on video games. I suppose it sets a precedent is what I’m getting at. I’m afraid of seeing one video game company and then the next editing and censoring their video games because people are “offended”. I personally have always felt the “video games are not an art form” ruling was a load of shit. Poop in a jar is art and video games are not? Someone please explain that to me. I truly hope this does not develop into a trend.

I have to wonder when society will stop blaming video games for peoples’ problems and start accepting responsibility for their own actions. Its a shame, but I’m afraid we’ll have to eradicate all forms of media before some idiots realize video games and TV do not make people attack and hurt others. And for the record, I’ve been playing computer games since the original Wolfenstein, including Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, GTA, GTA 3, and GTA: VC, and I have never once attacked anyone, gotten in a fight, or been arrested, ever.

Regarding that last point, you might want to check out this thread:

Violent Game, Violent Life? any real proof?

Thanks, Mr2001. But I have to direct you to the part of my post about accepting responsibility for your actions. Me and my computer nerd friends have been playing FPSs for years and none of us have ever gotten in a fight, hurt anyone, gotten arrested, etc. By that theory we should all be career criminals, and thats just not the case.

This planet’s fucked.

(no offence/offense meant to any ethnic, religious, sexual, or other group inhabiting said planet)

I’m leaning more and more towards the view that we should just hate and kill EVERYONE.

I WISH. Unfortunately, every PS2 gamer and their sister already has this game.

The solution here is to encourage people to play Postal 2. In that game, you get to kill (but are not ordered to; you make the decision to commit any acts of violence yourself), among others, a group of activists protesting violent video games, and another advocating burning all books.

I read a story last week (could not find link) saying that now the Miami CUBAN community has jumped the bandwagon about THEIR gangs being killed, too. A year late and a dollar short.

And the Italians haven’t hopped in with their “negative Mafia stereotype” shtick like they did with The Sopranps?

I’m surprised more of you aren’t freaked out and pissed that Mayor Bloomberg wants to investigate Rockstar on human rights violations.

Now that’s some scary precedent.

I find that rather scary personally. I wish the Supreme Court would step in and say that video games share the same free speech rights that books, movies and television shares.

I love that a disclaimer was necessary there, despite that being about the least discriminatory remark that it’s possible to make. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, you guys realise that this isn’t the first time a game developer has toned down the content of their games to make it more acceptable to the public eye, right? It sucks, but it’s nothing new.

~ Isaac

Mark my words, this is only the beginning. This is NO different from getting smoking banned from hospitals, then airplanes, then businesses, etc. I’m not saying the two are the same, I’m saying the trend is there and this is how it starts.

FWIW, I just got the double pack for my X-Box, so I already sold my PS2 versions (which is the only reason I bought the goddamn Sony).

But fear not, even if they get game makers to kowtow, they’ll just move HQ off-shore and sell from there.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the statement in the game “Kill all the Haitians” refers to all the Haitian gang members, right, and not every Haitian in the world?

Yes, by why let a little thing like “context” bring Bloomberg down off his soapbox. :rolleyes:

Try never.

HUH? :smiley: Here, have another cup of coffee :slight_smile:

Rockstar does not have big cojones. All my friends have big cajones.