[QUOTE=Martin Hyde]
I think it would be an excellent idea. I think one of the most important duties of a government is to maintain law and order, that is why governments were instituted among men in the first place, thousands of years ago. I think that in extreme crisis situations, where thousands of people and virtually an entire city have fallen in to chaos and are openly disregarding the rule of law, harsh measures are required.
In New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina I think if measures like I suggested had been taken from day one, some of the worst incidents would have been avoided. The disorderly will only become more so when their behavior is permitted. It starts with the looting of TVs, then it escalates into beatings, then goes to murders and rapes and eventually full out chaos and gang wars. The few dead looters at the beginning would serve as examples to those who were intending to wreck havoc on organized civilization.
When Napoleon was confronted with an angry, armed mob, he fired artillery into the mob and put down the riots and rebellious behavior. People respond to overwhelming force, in general, with compliance.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I don’t know about your first point. I’d say that governments weren’t instituted to maintain law and order, but rather to provide security and (possibly) wealth and power.
Also, our government operates with a different degree of latitude than that of Napoleon or other governments that have historically used overwhelming force on its own citizenry. From what I recall, that is actually a point of pride for us here in the U.S.A.
If a situation is dire enough that the nation itself is truly at risk, then what you suggest might make sense. Killing people for what are basically minor crimes in order to send a message to the citizenry that their behavior is not tolerated is the antithesis of our justice system.
Basically, I don’t dispute that what you suggest could have the affect you imagine in some circumstances. I just think that if you are looking for a public that would tolerate such actions from its government, and an armed forces that would willingly cary out those actions, then you’re looking for a different country than this one.