Rolex anchor

Like this.

is that the definitive answer? That no one knows?

Erm… The question of course is ‘What is the anchor for?’

The anchor is to let people know that you own a Rolex, of course.

I was going to say, ‘No, really…’ But let me think a bit. Not a very practical keychain, since it’s a b it dangly and the flukes might catch on one’s pocket. Too big for a charm bracelet (and the watch isn’t a ‘lady’s size’). I can’t see how it would work as a tie pin. Maybe hang it from a button hole? Wear it as a neclace?

It just seems such an odd thing.

They probably had something made up for just that purpose. People can be very creative. Odd, yes. Purposeless, no.

It’s called a watch fob. You attach a pocket watch to the chain and place the watch in one of your vest pockets and the fob in the opposite pocket so the chain drapes across your ample belly. And, presto! You look just like J.P. Morgan.

(And yes, I know that the watch it came with was a wrist watch. But presumably Rolex is harking back to a more traditional form of watch. And perhaps the fact that someone had to ask the question in the OP is the reason why they’re not making them any more.)

But has Rolex ever made a pocket watch?

Rolex pocket watch c.1910

Rolex pocket watch for the British Army

Rolex pocket watch

Well there you go then.

Oh, and in case you needed further proof that there are associations for everything, I give you The International Watch Fob Association.

Surprisingly, this is not a terribly dynamic Web site, but you can learn about their exciting spring convention, “The World’s Largest Watch Fob and Toy Show,” in April in Middleburg Heights, OH.

And about the scourge of (I kid you not) counterfeit fobs. I don’t know about you, but I’ll sleep better tonight knowing that the IWFA is on top of this serious problem.