I’m guessing the Lictors Guild would have been some sort of union but essentially lictors were servants maybe somewhat analogous to Congressional pages.
[/QUOTE]
Let’s not talk about what happens when they hold a joint meeting with the Lollipop Guild.
Thank you all for this running commentary. As a household with full-on bunny ears, if it weren’t for you I’d be waiting for Season 2 to come to Blockbuster.
Did Vorenus mourn? Did he attempt to destroy the product of his cuckolding?
Also, speaking of cuckolds, is there any current reference to the Caesarion?
[QUOTE=hajario]
Maybe not businessman but cheap maybe. Taking money for what should be done for free.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but Jews were considered to be lacking in normal civic responsibility because they wouldn’t sacrifice to the Roman gods - there being no sense of distinction between church and stated.
(I’m also curious about the breastmilk scene).
[/QUOTE]
Just to report back to fellow Dopers - I asked two of my profs about this scene. One prof (the one I mentioned upthread that had worked on Empire) said he wasn’t sure where it came from but thought that the writers of *Rome * would not have included it without some sort of historical reasoning. My other prof said the whole thing was made up. I’m not entirely sure who I am inclined to agree with the most, but it’s looking pretty fabricated.
[QUOTE=Rube E. Tewesday]
Maybe, but Jews were considered to be lacking in normal civic responsibility because they wouldn’t sacrifice to the Roman gods - there being no sense of distinction between church and stated.
[/QUOTE]
Right. The Jewish people were particularly thorny in that regard. I haven’t read much secular history on the matter, but if the New Testament is right, much of the Judeo-Roman political machination involved Roman concessions to the demands of Jewish religious leaders. (Pilate, for example, came out to his courtyard to meet the Pharisees because they refused to go in his “unclean” house.)
It’s all about Vorenus and Pullo. This season Pullo is calling Vorenus “brother” but just once more I want to hear Pullo call Vorenus “lamb.” Those two are so damned cute.
It’s all about Vorenus and Pullo. This season Pullo is calling Vorenus “brother” but just once more I want to hear Pullo call Vorenus “lamb.” Those two are so damned cute.
I’m a little behind this season; I just watched this episode last night. My favorite Pullo moment – and god, how I’ve missed him – was “You’ll be wanting vengeance, then?” The man loves his violence!