Romney donor at Hamptons fundraiser feels sympathy for the common people.

:frowning: But then what’m I gonna do with this muck-encrusted pitchfork and all the manure I’ve been cleaning up? The wheelbarrow is overflowing!

• looks around *

Oh, hey, I’m getting some ideas… :smiley:

You found an obnoxious lady on the internet. Congrats. Would you like a cookie?

Yes I would. Do you have any chocolate chip? :rolleyes:

Good, objective reporting doesn’t try to “advance an image”. The lady is either correct or not, and what type of car she drives doesn’t help us understand that.

It would be great writing for the Bill Maher show. The LA Times? Not so much.

No, he’d like to make a point. Which he’s done.

Looks like he found the obnoxiousl lady’s mate on the internet while he was at though, huh?

The difference between what this woman said and what some liberals say is that this woman is equating intelligence with their profession and their “lesser” status as a common person, we liberals think many people are stupid because of their actions, i.e. voting Republican.

I don’t see the complaint with the reporting. The woman was bitching because the common people can’t connect with Romney. So it’s relevant to establish whether the woman was common herself- the vehicle and its stickers establish quite clearly that she is not.

So you have a rich person going to a Romney rally whining about the way that the great unwashed vote. If that isn’t fair game for ridicule, I can’t imagine what is.

Thank God for that. If I didn’t know they weekended at the Hamptons then the rest of the story would not have made any sense.

Nonsense, John Mace, and you know it. The most memorable reporting conveys an image to the reader while also conveying the essential information for the story being written.

Why would they have courtroom sketch artists if they didn’t think it was helpful to have an image? Was the picture of the Vietnamese girl running naked down the road “objective reporting”? If this story had just included a picture of this woman sitting in a Range Rover with East Hampton beach permits on the window, would you object?

Finally, you know very well that the point is not whether this woman is correct or not as to her assertion that Mitt Romney needs to connect better with common people. How could that be a factual assertion? It’s an opinion.

This seems like odd nitpickery designed to, I don’t know, distract? Why?

It wasn’t a Romney rally. It was a fundraiser. What kind of people do you expect to find at a fund raiser, of either party? But I didn’t realize objective reporting consisting of ridicule. Glad you cleared that up.

I see her point: when there’s more brioche for the aristocrats, there are more pans left in the alley behind the kitchen for the poor to scrape the crumbs out of. It makes perfect economic sense.

Not really, but you raise a good point. Photo journalism, of the type you describe, is quite a different kettle of fish. It’s meant to evoke a strong emotional response. It’s commentary, not reporting.

Had there been a photo of the woman’s car, so what? Had the journalist zoomed in on the beach stickers and the car’s logo, that would have been a different story. Why doesn’t the reporter come out and say that the lady is a hypocrite? Would that be within the bounds of objective reporting? If not, why not?

I made a simple observation. If you don’t want it to distract from this terribly important story, then don’t.

The reporter wasn’t ridiculing, she just gave us the facts so that we could ridicule. Anything else I can help you understand?

I was at an Obama fundraiser. Although there wwere people with a lot of money there, I didn’t notice any assholes in attendance. We spent quite a bit of time waiting around, etc., i got a flavor of the people in attendance. Romney is an asshole, and so are his supporters. That’s the point of the article. if we all understood the point, I’d call it good reporting.

Being a Republican doesn’t make you an asshole, but being an asshole does make you Republican.

I’d like a cookie too. I’ve just spotted an obnoxious person in this very thread.

I’m still waiting for mine. I don’t think he actually has any. :frowning:

Okay. The lady did not have an obnoxious attitude. You didn’t say I had to tell the truth.

I’m just going to go out and say it:

The smug arrogance that that woman displayed is only found within the Republican party. You don’t like it, tough, but this kind of stuff is NOT found on the political left, period.

These are the types of people that Romney hangs out with, and they’re the ones with whom he identifies. That fact right there is exactly why it would be sheer and utter stupidity for any poor or middle class person to vote Republican.

Be patient, commoner. The Man will be here on Thursday with cookies (and for light dusting).