Roosters In the Suburbs

And people laugh at me for owning a crossbow…

I don’t live next to a rooster but fairly close. I can hear it, not too loud, if the window is open. But when I walk the dog in the early morning I go past there and think as the OP did.

My dad was a dab hand with a slingshot, the forked kind.

Takoma Park made had a small statue commemorating its annoying rooster. Anyhow, Check the zoning laws. It’s different in different counties, and it depends on the size of the property and the zoning designation. I think there are a some counties within the beltway that have properties that are listed as RR and RE. I don’t know what the rules are there exactly; it’s different in every county. For example in Anne Arundel 8 chickens = one bird unit, you can have 1 bird unit on 20,000 square feet of land and 2 bird units on 40,000 square feet of land; but in neither case can you have a rooster, or something like that.

Anyhow, before going all apeshit on your neighbor, I think it would be advisable to make sure that you are not the asshole in the situation infringing on your neighbor’s rights.

The fact that nobody has complained about it yet etc. has me placing odds on the possibility that the neighbor is legally allowed to keep a rooster. As long as I’ve lived in side the beltway I’ve hardly ever known people to let any inconvenience go unrecorded.

This rooster ain’t no Roscoe. Thus constant crowing didn’t start until last Saturday; I wonder if the constant rain has anything to do with it. He’s been around a while and only did his thing occasionally.

People who know me know I don’t do apeshit. While I have wrung necks, I wouldn’t have the stomach for it. If I want chicken and dumplings there’s a Giant three blocks away. It doesn’t look like roosters can be kept in the yard here. I don’t know about Takoma, but we’re about a quarter mile from the border of the People’s Republic. I don’t know the neighbors with the cock in question, but if he doesn’t knock it off I’ll go have a talk with them. It’s way beyond normal rooster behavior; the poor guy let’s loose several times a minute for an hour.

What GaryM said, I bought fertilized eggs. My girls were clucky so I let them have some babies. Unfortunately, boys have to go.

It is possible that the neighbour doesn’t know that the rooster is annoying people. My chook house is up the back, and my house is like the cone of silence. I wouldn’t know, unless told, that the girls are annoying other people around and about. Noise can carry (or not) in odd ways. I’d certainly have a word with them as the first step, particularly if the crowing is abnormal. He might have something wrong with him.

I wasn’t trying to imply you would go apeshit - it was more a response to the less measured suggestions offered previously in this thread.

I myself would take the more reasoned, neighborly approach many in this thread are suggesting. My belief is that approaching the situation with willful ignorance is not the best approach to take in order to yield the most desirable result. The first step, in my opinion, is to take specific steps to gain whatever knowledge you can about applicable laws.

That’s exactly what you were implying! Do you think I was born yesterday? Mind your own damn business, even if I did ask for advice on a.public message board. Seriously, as close as I can tell cocks are illegal in Montgomery County. I’m sure Animal Control can give a definitive answer if it.comes to that.

Clearly your measured response exposes the absurdity of any implications that you might go apeshit.

That’s not a very 21st Century law.

I agree with the suggestions to research the law and file a complaint. Stealing and eating the chicken is probably illegal. Whether you get caught is another story.

Don’t push me.

Please don’t call animal control on me.

we had chicken here hens and roosters one got his neck wrung because it was mean and neighbors then stole the hens for food ……left the second rooster by himself he went back to the farm ………but we kept ours enclosed inside a house so no crowing

Plucking a chicken is a VERY messy process. Pinfeathers float into the unlikeliest of places. I doubt you could hide that completely.

Not to alarm you, but I heard this story on NPR this morning. Apparently , because of the heavy use of lead-based paints, there’s a lot of lead in the soil around houses that can get into the chickens raised in urban environments, and thence into the eggs:

The solution is to have your soil tested. If it’s heavy in lead, replace it. That doesn’t sound cheap, but one couple interviewed for the report did it, with a dramatic decrease in their lead.

We have ducks in out neighborhood. Quack quack…

I keep chickens (in the inner city) and have only had this problem once, because I generally get ex-battery* hens so know for sure what their sex is. My rooster was a silkie and they’re hard to sex until they either start crowing or start laying eggs, but the first day he crowed I ran around like a, heh, headless chicken all day until I found somewhere willing to take him. Had to make up a ridiculous story about the hen being dumped on my doorstep by someone who knew I kept chickens, because they wouldn’t take him if he was my own. :smiley:

The law in the UK says that you are allowed to keep chickens in your garden, regardless of any local ordinances or tenancy agreements, as long as they’re not a health and safety risk. So too many hens, or not keeping them clean, or keeping them too close to your neighbour’s homes, they’re all no-nos, and I’m pretty sure crowing would be covered too if you’re in an area where it will disturb people. If not, it would be covered by noise ordinances. So basically even if there’s no specific law banning roosters where you live it will likely be covered by some other law.

Roosters crow at unpredictable times, not just in the morning, and it’s only a pleasant sound at a pleasant distance.

Hobbyist hen keepers do tend to love their animals but I’ve never seen anyone argue for keeping a rooster when it will obviously annoy neighbours. Hopefully your neighbours are the same and if you talk to them they might already have plans in place for removing him.
*Or rather, ex barn hens, because battery hens are illegal in the UK, but they’re still poor bedraggled beasts when you get them.

I know of one chook farm who will take anyone, but you need to understand that they are taking him to get “the chop”. I managed to get a couple of boys their own “gig” where they’d have a home, but it’s unfortunately the case that many boys end up in a pot. You can’t have multiple roosters in a small flock, it’s just numbers. That could be what’s happening with sir-crow-a-lot, another male might have appeared.

In my experience, suburban chickens start out as an “investment,” and wind up as people’s pets. You may be asking your neighbor to shut up his rooster, but to him, it’s probably now a pet.

Then you’re back to the barking dog problem.

Crowing hopefully, yes? :smiley: