Roseanne Part Two? No Thank You

I enjoyed it as well. It was refreshing. Not Must See TV but I’ll watch and try to keep up with episodes On Demand.

I dug it. It was nice to see all the characters, everyone is still more or less who they always were and everything’s still nicely grounded in real life. Dan finding Roseanne’s unpublished story was a clever nod at the continuity tangle the new shows are sidestepping (though as someone above pointed out, Harris should be starting college by now, not high school). And really, as long as we’re undoing Dan’s death, why even bother mentioning Jerry Conner at all?

Something seemed off to me technically. I have noticed the same thing with the Full House reboot. The audio timing seems… delayed? Muffled?
I couldn’t really pinpoint it but the audio seemed to be of lesser quality than other sit coms.
Is it just me or did anyone else notice this?

I was never a huge Roseanne fan as a kid, but my parents watched it, and I ended up identifying with Darlene (snarky, smart, etc.) though she was a few years older than me. The titular actress myself always rubbed me the wrong way, but I liked the rest of the family. Dan Goodman, IMHO, is one of the most underrated actors in the industry, playing deep drama and high comedy with surprising aplomb. He is reason enough to give the revival a chance.

I get Darlene’s struggle. While I, myself, didn’t have to move in with my parents, went through the employment difficulties that she did. I went to college, got my degree, and still couldn’t make ends meet. I had a hard time finding a job in my field that paid enough to cover the cost of daycare, my student loan payments, mortgage, etc. I did what I was “supposed” to do, but the economy has been tough for Xennials and Millenials for a while. It’s not just hard on the boomers whose retirement funds took a hit or who can’t afford medication. It’s hard on us all.

Haven’t seen it yet.

I have looked at several articles. Great photo of the recreated set. I’d forgotten how butt ugly that furniture was.

Who uses the stair climber seat? Is one of the characters handicapped now?

I enjoyed it. The young woman they found to play Harris, wow. Spittin’ image of Darlene.

The politics stuff went on too long and Jackie was over-the-top with it, but it could’ve been way worse. I hope that’s the end of it.

It was pretty good. My husband and I both laughed out loud a few times. I too thought the acting was lacking…very forced. Hopefully, that will get better. They sure touched on just about every current subject.

I was wondering how they were going to handle that. I still am since I haven’t watched yet. His senseless death still pisses me off.

I’m pretty sure Roseanne always was a big ol’ Liberal, but she was always into whatever populist woo came along. Trump managed to appear to be a populist, so I can see her supporting him.

Just a bit of interesting info. The reason behind the Lottery plot line was that Roseanne acquired the rights to an American version of Absolutely Fabulous that would have starred Carrie Fisher and Barbara Carrera. The pilot (or pitch) didn’t sell, so they incorporated the plot ideas into Roseanne’s show.

I thought it was awful because the acting was just so bad across the board. I mean John Goodman was fine because he pretty much plays himself in everything I’ve ever seen him in. It was Laurie Metcalf that really irked me though. I like her as an actor, and usually enjoy her characters and I also know Jackie was always quite expressive but she looked like a crazy sad clown in some scenes. It was horrible. As for Roseanne, she was always a bad actor so it wasn’t so surprising. The political stuff was funny, and the storyline about little Mark was cute. He was probably the best part of the show for me.

I always liked the show okay. I don’t think I made it through to the end though because it got so silly.

The overtly political stuff (anything about the elections) didn’t work at all. (Neither did the weird scene with Roseanne in Mark’s classroom). I wondered what happened to Jackie’s kid (no mention of him at all, you’d think that someone might say something about their cousin). The meeting of the two Beckys was fun (“we could be the same person!”) overall, though, it just wasn’t that good. I probably won’t watch again.

(I thought I saw David in one of the previews. Obviously, the actor is busy these days, but did he make an appearance at all?)

I was thinking the opposite. I was slightly older than the oldest daughter when the show was on the first time around. The way they were made up on the show, they both look to have 10 years on me.

My first thought was “Seriously, this small group of people are OF COURSE going to have to deal with such an OUTLANDISH circumstance?”

But then, I thought about it a bit, and realized something.

I associate with as few people in my life as I can possibly get away with (my monkeysphere probably tops out at about twenty humans and four dogs) and yet I know one girl who definitely identified as masculine from an early age as well. So is it really so far-fetched?

As it was pointed out Darlene dressed in boys’ clothes when she was Mark’s age; Mark dressing in girls’ clothes shouldn’t be treated any differently. But he does need to remember to wear underwear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m confused. I thought Darlene was with David and Becky was with Mark. Then in the final episode Roseanne switched them so Darlene was with Mark and Becky with David.

But Darlene’s kid is named Mark. So is the dad of that kid David or Mark? I know Dan’s death was faked, was Roseanne switching who was with who faked too?

Also I disagree with the poster who said Darlene hasn’t aged. Her face and neck have a bunch of lines in them. Not that I’m complaining, she is pretty but she looks middle aged. If anything Becky looks younger than her age.

It was a decent show. I hope the cast have more time to work together. Right now the acting feels kind of wooden.

Also what happened to Becky’s voice? It sounds like she inhaled a bunch of cigarettes.

Mark died; David & Darlene named their son after him. Apparently the Healy brothers being with opposite sisters was just something Roseanne toyed with for her book just like when she killed off Dan.

Other than the son’s name what was the tribute to the actor that played Mark? I musta missed it.

Fred must have got custody of Andy(? I think that was his name) after the cannon parts of the original show ended.

DAvid was in a commercial, commenting on how the Connors kept the girls room unchanged and Darlene saying something about of course they did, they’re poor. But it must be from a later episode as it wasn’t in either of the two they showed.

43 seems a bit too young for Becky 1 these days, maybe if they’d kept Becky 2 in the role it could have worked, Eliot seems to have aged a little better.

Jerry would be 22, Andy would be 23. They may not be in the reboot. They weren’t really major characters anyway.

Becky was born in March 1975, so she’d be 43.

The stair climber wasn’t in the first episode, but it was in the second episode. I don’t know if that was an accident or intentional.

I assume it is for Roseanne, because she mentions having a bad knee.

I thought it was great. I enjoyed most of the original series. Especially the Halloween shows

Cute plot twist. Dan asked him how he felt, male or female, the kid said male. Roseanne related to the children in his school room class that he might be a famous designer some day and left it at that (I think)

The show pretty much brought many of today’s issues to the show. A mixed race kid from parents that were in the service and one still is. Also death. They at least addressed the death’s of cast members from the original series. Many shows dont. Family conflict as always. Dan struggling to accept the family members as being different.

10+/- yr old children today are more aware of the contrasting occurrences/alternative lifestyles that we were not aware of as children. I applaud such declarations, children should be able to express whatever they want to and should be supported as such. Its how we create a well rounded child that may think outside the box, develop at open mind and perhaps do the world better in the long run

Great comments, I wholeheartedly agree!!

RB is not RB anymore.
I was surprised by the Trump support, I was not aware of her affiliation but I am mostly Democratic but I fully (well, mostly) support Trump. Washington needs a big shake up which is what Trump is doing. When has any politician accomplish good things for people and not have bad things happen at the same time?

Who said Harris isnt 20-21 and still in high school? :D:D (We’re not suppose to do the math :p) :smiley:

Agree!

Guess what, at least women’s voices do change with age, not that we want it that way. Not sure why it matters :confused::confused:

I thought it was a hilarious addition!