Roswell Rods - Seriously!

I recently came across an interesting new phenomenon that I can’t seem to find a good explanation for. I have never seen any good debunking, and I was wondering if anyone had some. The phenomenon? Roswell Rods. (http://www.roswellrods.com) This guy claims to have captured, on videotape, these flying creatures that can range from 4inches to 100 feet long. They move extremely fast and can’t be seen easily by the human eye. He believes that they are organic, and intelligent.

Some more info - they have captured the same thing on two different video cameras at the same time. The ‘rods’ appear to interact with the environment, flying around things. A news crew captured the same thing with their equipment.

I’m not saying I believe all of this - but I haven’t seen anyone really shoot this down yet. The best debunk I saw was an article posted 2 years ago that really looks stupid when compared with some of the newer footage. I know A&E did a special on these rods, but I haven’t seen it yet.

Can someone please post more info, and possibly tell me how this is bull? So far, it looks legit - which is kinda scary cause my gut tells me it’s just the 90’s version of Loch Ness.

“My God, what have we done?” -Robert Lewis (co-pilot Enola Gay)

I don’t have any links just yet, but I can say that this has been fairly thoroughly debunked. The rods are actually insects that are fairly close to the camera. There are two factors that make them look the way they do. (1) They are too close to the camera for the focus length being used so they look kind of blured and poorly defined and (2) their angular velocity and rapid wing beat frequency are too high for the shutter speeds of most video equipment so you see multiple images per frame (which makes them look like rods with a bunch of wings or fins).

I saw a special on Discovery where some skeptics were debunking several recent “unexplained” phenomena and this was one of them. These guys set up two cameras, side by side. One was an ordinary video camera with the focus set for a distant object, the other was a very high speed camera with the focus set for fairly close (15-20 feet). They found an environment that had a reasonable number of flying insects buzzing about. The consumer video camera recorded a bunch of ‘rods’, but the high speed camera recorded a bunch of insects who’s flight paths exactly overlayed with the ‘rods’. Seemed pretty conclusive to me.

The only problem I have with that theory is when the ‘rod’ tends to interact with the environment like you can see in this sequence
http://www.roswellrods.com/fxrod.html
(there are others)

I like the insect theory mentioned, however, the insects would cross over images in the distance instead of avoiding them.

It must be an unknown life form. God forbid that an insect would get sucked into the vacume created by a falling skydiver.

Gee, I don’t think any of us expected him to say that.

You must be smart because you have mastered sarcasm! However, I take that back because the theory is that the bug is close to the camera while the skydiver is far away from the camera… so there shold be NO INTERACTION between the two…

grumbles kids grumbles

You must be smart because you have mastered sarcasm! However, I take that back because the theory is that the bug is close to the camera while the skydiver is far away from the camera… so there shold be NO INTERACTION between the two…

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

grumbles kids grumbles

‘Rods’ do overlap background images, at least on the footage I saw. I never saw anything that looked like “interaction”. Insects often travel in non vector like manners and their pseudo-random sweeps and arcs can certainly look like avoidance tactics… if you try to attach some significance to their movement.

Ask yourself this. The human eye is capable of much better visual acuity than a CCD camera, as are other forms of high speed photography. Why do you suppose these ‘rods’ can only be seen by CCD video cameras?