Rudi Gernreich's pubikini - This, I gotta see!

An obituary of photographer William Claxton mentioned his photographs of his wife, Peggy Moffitt, wearing the designs of Rudi Gernreich. Apparently, Gernreich was the first to design a topless swimsuit, which was famously modeled by Moffitt in the 1960s. Following the Gernreich trail, I discovered that in the 1980s, he designed something called the “pubikini,” which was a swimsuit that featured a window or hole that revealed the wearer’s pubic hair. Now, this sounds like something I dreamed of as a desperate adolescent and I would love to see Gernreich’s version of such a garment. Unfortunately, while I did find pictures of Moffitt wearing the topless swimsuit, I can’t locate any actual pictures of a model wearing Gernreich’s pubikini. Anyone got any ideas?

I was actually looking at something else, and a reference to your “pubikini” caught my eye. No pictures, though:

Is this the same Rudi who “designed” the Space:1999 uniforms?

Yes, I believe so.

Well, you can Google but I"m not going to look for it in all the results now. If you Google pubikini, one of the top 10 hits is Rudi’s Myspace page, so maybe you could contact him and ask for a picture.

Here’s a picture of the garment.

Googling pubikini in images brings up a series of references to Gernreich. However, the most information given is that he created it shortly before his death in 1985. It may have been a stunt that got announced but never made it onto a model.

Discourse is telling me that this thread is 13 years old. Yet Discourse also just sent me a notification that I got a popular link because my previous post has been clicked on 50 times. Discourse, meet Discourse. And have a good talk with yourself.

Anyway, I opened the thread because “Earned ‘Popular Link’” is a message with null information. (See: Discourse)

I had to wonder whether 13 years dredged up more information on the topic. It has, sorta, kinda.

A picture of the supposed pubikini on a living model can be found. I’ll put the link into a spoiler because of nudity. Note that the garment does not match either the image in the older link or the initial description of revealing the pubic hair. The photo is credited to Helmut Newton and was purportedly taken a few days before Gernreich’s death in 1985, as my previous search claimed. No other good info comes up in a Google search.

Remember, kids, publicity stunts can kill you.

It looks to me, however, like it would show pubic hair where the blue-green rectangle is. I’m not entirely sure what it is.

And I’m pretty sure you got the badge because some new person, likely searching for pics of the pubkini, read this page and clicked on your link. Since there were already more than 50 clicks on the link, that triggered Discourse to give you the badge. And, since no one had actually posted since 2008, the age of the thread did not update until you posted.

I sure remember the 1980s swimsuits that not only had a big hole cut out of the abdominal area, but it also had very, ahem, high leg holes.

Hootie & the Blowfish’s first release was called “Kootchypop”, inspired by a black comedienne who was talking about those suits, and she said, “If you’re gonna wear one of those, you’re gonna have to shave yo’ kootchypop!”

Yeah, I got that. I was making a joke.

More modern versions of the pubikini that deserve the name exist, or at least pictures of them do. Again, spoilered link.

You know what that looks like? The ‘sanitary belts’ we women had to use to hold napkins before they figured out how to put adhesive strips to hold them to your undies.

I got another Popular Link for the Helmut Newton photo.

You’re all perverts! I bet I get a bunch of awards for this link.

There is a point at which you do have to wonder why you’d bother wearing anything at all

And the pictured “bikini” would be a Wicked Weasel . . . no link ya pervs!

Did you notice that @Exapno_Mapcase’s link is to a website with the url “pubikini. com” which has no pages other than the page to which Exapno linked, no links to anything, nothing?

Someone went to the length of getting the specific url for the sole purpose of creating a static page showing and describing a pubikini.

Weird

A pubikini with no pubic hair? What gives?

It’s for showing your pubikarea not necessarily your pubikair. Apparently.

You are thinking of the nude beach. Head there if you want to see it all. Note, others can see you, too.

Anyway, as for this style, like the Borat monokini, sling monokini, micro-bikini, etc. it theoretically exists, but does anyone wear it? Good excuse to head to the beach in the afternoon and find out.

Many people trim their pubic hair, so it would not necessarily all hang out as you would expect from this style of garment. (Assuming anybody wears it.)

The Phoenix Art Museum recently had a special exhibit of Rudi’s fashions. Very fascinating.
They had the Monokini, but on a mannequin. (a mannikini?)

He had some interesting aesthetics. Genderless fashion - fashions that work for men and women. That didn’t catch on.

The photo linked by @Exapno_Mapcase several posts above probably would not have worked equally well for men and women.