Rules for the "Traitors' game on TV

I enjoy watching the ‘Traitors’ game (there are versions in several countries including the UK and the USA.)

The latest is a BBC celebrity version:

The Celebrity Traitors - BBC iPlayer

Now the Traitors are occasionally allowed to recruit a Faithful (I believe only after a Traitor is banished.)
My question is: How often are the Traitors allowed to recruit?

Every time there are fewer than 3 traitors, they are allowed to recruit. If there’s only one, unless its right at the end of the game, they have to.

This is obviously unfair on the faithful, because it means that if they catch someone their reward is that one of them gets recruited. But, its a TV show first, and there is no way a commissioner is going to greenlight a programme that might last 10 episodes, or maybe 3, we don’t know till we make it.

Yeah, the traitors/werewolves/whatever already have a sizable advantage.

Yes, this is the most important reason that Traitors are allowed to recruit.

However, once the game is reaching the end, I think it would be fair to restict recruitment…

I think the rules allow there to be 0 traitors going into the the final roundtable/firepit, but not the penultimate one. So if there were 1 traitor the night before that, they’d have to recruit. Then you have:

Finale-minus-two round table: 2 traitors.
F-2 night: 1 or 2 traitors
F-1 roundtable: 1 or 2 traitors
F-1 night: 0 or 1 or 2 traitors
Finale: as above.

Stanislaus, that sounds eminently reasonable!
I haven’t found the rules governing that though - can you help?

I don’t think they publish the rules, I’m just trying to work backwards from what I’ve seen.

Shrewd - you’d make a good player! :face_with_monocle: