Rush/Neil Peart Fans-"Body Electric" Question

Need to answer a couple questions for a friend:

1. What time is it in? I say 3/4 but not quite sure.

2. Does the drum line change on the verses from the opening drum line? I know it changes in the chorus and the bridge.

3. And the biggie—is it based on “THX 1138” ? I was told awhile back it is.

Many thanks in advance!

1. 3/4 I think, but I’m not sure either.

2. Not that I can tell.

3. Possibly. But I think more than likely, it’s loosely based on Walt Whitman’s “I Sing The Body Electric,” which also inspired a Twilight Zone episode of the same name.

After a bit of listening and re-listening, it’s in 3/4, and I’m thinking what changes is how Neil puts the rhythms together.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m just not hearing it. The song is in a straight 4/4 time. Don’t listen to the drums; listen to everything else. When Geddy sings “One zero zero <pause> one zero zero <pause> one <pause> s. o. s. <pause pause pause>” I’m hearing “one two three four one two three four one two S.O.S. two three four” (approximately)

The first time I saw the title I thought of the Bradbury story, but the THX1138 reasoning makes sense, as well. I guess we’ll have to ask Neil.

And the changes are just Neil Peart’s drumming. No time signature or tempo changes needed. (Neil’s just that good.)

Yanno what? You’re right about the time signature. I listened to the song again from 3 different live shows and yup, it’s 4/4.

Neil’s a drum god, and I don’t care who says otherwise.

Boy it really sounds like 4/4 to me, admittedly with a very stuttery pattern.

Some online commenter I googled agrees (but its just some guy, with the same authority to decide the issue as I do. Pass the salt.). here:

I’ve been unsuccessful at finding any other commentary on the time sig for this song.

Nah, Geddy is a bass god if he can be the second half of the rhythm section when Pert plays a pattern this weird. Alex can then follow Geddy into the weeds and come out sounding good.

He won’t answer.

I just got this vision in my head of Alex following Geddy through a huge, tall field of grain yelling, “THIS SHIT AIN’T FUNNY, GEDDY!”

Yup, it’s in 4/4. Thanks :slight_smile: