Russia invades Ukraine {2022-02-24} (Part 1)

Finally They got off the pot.

I don’t want to even speculate on the number of deaths in the past 2 weeks while this decision was made.

Ukraine has agreed not to fire into Russia. Imho that can be controlled by supplying missiles on a schedule. The scheduled supplies stops if the missiles are misused.

I’ve read a lot of the troops in Kherson are poorly equipped Russian loyalists. Ukraine may have success with counter attacks while the Russian troops are busy taking Severodonetsk.

ISW May 31

Another aside: my friend who owned a Cessna 172, said it was a very forgiving aircraft. I flew with him many times, and he could plop that thing down at the end of the runway (“on the stripes”–have I got my nomenclature right, Johnny?), and decelerate enough to take the first taxiway. Or we’d do “touch-and-gos,” then another go-round, then a final touchdown. That little aircraft could take almost anything, because it was good enough at everything.

Some information on the M142 Himars. The range can be controlled by the rocket pod that is supplied.

My curiosity naturally asks if the higher range missiles can be supplied by other countries? Providing the US deniability? Biden is only giving Ukraine short range missles.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a few ATACMS quietly cross the border with other supplies. It won’t be directly traceable to the US.

It seems Russian cities and other sites are now protected against Ukrainian missile attacks. Protected not by the Russian government, but by the American one.

In the military art, “culmination point” has a special meaning. It is the point where one side or the other is unable to continue. It is the moment of total exhaustion. Battles are won at this moment when one side can continue and the other cannot.

Did Ukraine agree not to attack Russian cities at all, or did Ukraine agree not to attack Russian cities with the specific missiles the US is sending?

I wonder what exactly was promised. That Ukraine won’t attack Russian territory with those particular weapons, or that Ukraine won’t attack Russian territory at all?

Official Russian tv just announced that the next target is Poland.

Sounds like they’re deploying a long line.

I would wager any agreement would be along the lines of not using these particular weapons to attack targets in Russia. We’ve been pretty quiet whenever Ukraine’s hit fuel and ammo dumps in Russia near Belgorod on several occasions.

Clearly, Russia is kicking ass and taking names. They’re just biding their time now polishing up all the mothballed T-62s remaining in their inventory. NATO will be unprepared for what is to come.

Battalions equipped with T-34s? :rofl:

Well, to be fair, when was the last time we tried to house a couple of hundred thousand POWs?

Not that we should seriously consider a Russian invasion of Poland any time soon, but does anyone know if Russian rail gauge is even compatible with Polish? Russians occupied the country for decades, so one would assume at least some of it is compatible gauge.

Some Belarusian troops are joining Ukraine in fighting-not all of them are on Putin’s side, thankfully.

According to Wiki, the bulk of Poland’s railroads are standard gauge, 1,435mm while Russia is 1,520. There are some narrow gauge railroads in Pomerania and Upper Silesia, most of them tourist lines, and so are insignificant to any war effort.

More troubling, as a former Soviet client, Belarus is also 1,520mm so Russia could in theory, easily move materiel and stage it there as well. Lithuania and Ukraine are also 1,520 but I don’t think they’d be as eager to work with Russia on any Polish invasion.

Wiki also notes that Finland is 1,524mm, an even 5 feet, which is “within tolerance.”

Ukrainian forces are withdrawing from Severodonetsk.

Ukraine has made ‘strategically sound, but painful’ withdrawal from Severodonetsk, say defence experts (msn.com)

I’m sick and tired of this Western double standard. Russia can bomb Ukraine since Day 1, but Ukraine mustn’t dare hit a single inch of Russian territory.

(Cue the “But nukes…”)

It’s more of a standard.