Russia invades Ukraine {2022-02-24} (Part 2)

Outstanding.

Died of Wounds, after several days, is more accurate. Reportedly shot in the head execution-style behind the lines with a 9mm, so probably not “in action” either.

“Died after several days” doesn’t sound consistent with “execution style”… Surely, if you’re executing someone, you’d make sure.

From the article:

That sounds quite execution-style, particularly as it took place at a checkpoint in Russian-occupied territory.

It appears as though the killing might have been the result of the chronic in-fighting that seems to pervade the Russian far-right:

Sounds like somebody did make sure but didn’t want to spend another bullet to speed the process. That’s some horrific stuff there.

Was it the Russians who charged relatives for the cartridges, or the North Koreans?

I thought that was the Chinese?

Perhaps so, thanks!

My wish for more infighting is finally bearing fruit. You can only fuck around with people so much before they start fucking around back. It would be great to see a bit of self rearrangement from the power players in Russia.

The leak about United Arab Emirates surprises me a bit. I didn’t realize they were that close. Especially that they would have 40,000 artillery shells laying around to sell to Russia.

I’m a bit surprised (and a bit skeptical) about the UAE-Russia ties. Most of the UAE armament is US or Western European (F16 fighters, Apache helicopters, Mirage fighter/bombers, Patriot missiles, LeClerc tanks). Russia has sold some stuff to them, but their main modern forces depends on Western support. Why they would be willing to imperil this (not to mention the heavy business connections in-country) does confuse me some.

Still, the UAE ruling class is very Family-driven and if members of the ruling family have personal ties with Putin’s folks, that can mean a lot in that neck of the woods.

IMHO as always. YMMV.

So am I. This war has pushed Russia further and further into Iran’s camp; the Gulf states’ regional rival.

And, there is money to be made selling oil, or reselling Russian oil.

Willingness to kill doesn’t always translate to skill. Maybe they had to do the hit and run, so to speak.

Lots of talk this morning that the classified documents leak was an American citizen. I’m not surprised, considering that some of the material contained Secret/NORFORN.
Mark Hertling has a gift link from WaPo here.

Well, since I’ve already copied the link…

TIL. From the linked article…

The number of employees and contractors in the entire US government with top secret clearance is about 1.25 million

I’m skeptical about that. Top Secret clearance includes a lot of delving into your personal history and background and you have to hold a position that requires your handling of such material. I don’t think we’ve done that for 1.25 million. Could be they are referencing “Secret/Confidential/FOUO” documents that are much easierr to get clearance for. Like to see some evidence for the 1.25 million Top Secret clearances.

IMHO as always. YMMV.

Do we have a thread specifically for the leak? I’ve searched, but not found one.

I’ve heard the leak is really really bad for Ukraine and that Bakhmut is about to fall, but then I hear it may not be as harmful as they thought and the counter offensive is about to start.

I know it’s normal in war, but I hate this terrible feeling of unease I have.

Good idea, I’ve created one (linked under your post).

Here: