Safari on iOS, you are a steaming pile

Yes the walled garden is annoying. Alternate browsers are not a solution because you can’t make anything but safari the default browser without jailbreaking.

That said, iCab seems a huge improvement over Safari. But this my iPhone4 experience. iCab is especially good for making the most of available screen area, which may not be as critical on a tablet.

it’s one reason I’m thinking of going back to Windows Phone; WP still requires other “browsers” use the Trident engine, but at least they don’t deliberately gimp its performance.

Chrome was the first thing installed on my iPad.

I have Chrome on it too, but the performance is very noticeably slower than Safari.

I don’t think you need iTunes anymore - I certainly haven’t used it with my iPad 3.

…… try copying music/pictures/videos to or from it without iTunes

Not exactly. I will explain. I have the original iPad. And it has worked pretty well for over two years now. But lately, it has been starting to act up. Honestly, I think it is because of the software upgrades. I never updated the iOS on the iPad until a few weeks ago. And I only did this because I was forced to by many of the apps that I had installed would no longer update with my old iOS version. So, I started to upgrade the iPad. I am almost finished. One more upgrade to go before I am caught up with where Apple is.

I think this is the reason everything is acting so strangely. Perhaps there is somethig else that is going on, but this is my guess. And I received the latest iPad as a gift, so it wasn’t like I went out and bought the newest iPad because this one is acting strange.

It is the one gripe I have with Apple, though. When things go wrong, they really go wrong, and to get a new product costs serious money. I blame my apple products on my wife, who has purchased every one of them. I am a PC guy, but having both for several years has given me perspective on both. The biggest strength of the apple, IMO, is the fact that in all the years I’ve owned an apple, I’ve never spent days trying to remove a virus. That is a huge benefit for me, because time is valuable.

With all this said, the next tablet I purchase will not be an apple. I would like to try one of the less expensive but very powerful options that are out there. Apple products do integrate very nicely, however, so I will probably always have an apple system for my music and pictures, at least until I find somethig that is just as stable.

I still have my 1st gen ipad, too. Be aware the the max. IOS version available for the 1st gen is IOS 5.1. You’re out of luck if you want to run IOS 6 apps. And despite being on the most recent IOS available for this iPad I’m still getting increasingly frequent crashes and sloooww performance due to recent bloated software updates.

My next tablet will probably be an android.

There’s a bunch of ways to do that, from Dropbox to external storage options.

Right…

Curses, you’ve found me out. My previous posts were an attempt to lure you into an international conspiracy by Apple to make people believe you don’t need iTunes when you really, really do. My brother has taken things really far, as he’s been running an iPad for over a year without access to a computer, so he’s got a super-secret version of iTunes somewhere. Crafty.

Interesting you should mention crashes. This iPad never crashed until just recently. Now it is a daily occurrence.

Perhaps it has been dropped one too many times. Perhaps it has just run its course. But I have 64GB on this thing and haven’t even used half of it yet. So the crashing does bother me. There should be plenty of space for it to do what it needs to do. I also didn’t know that iOS 5.1 is the highest version I can run on this thing. I currently have 5.1.1, but I was planning another upgrade this week. I have read all that I could find on upgrading the iOS and I never saw anything about not being able to take this thing to iOS 6.x

I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

You cannot just plug your iPad into a PC and copy files from it to a PC without iTunes.
Dropbox and other solutions is just a long way around. When I want to load some files to my tablet, I do not want to upload it to an online storage facility to download it.

External storage, you need to buy an adapter to just plug in our USB drive unless you got a NAS, that you can access from your iPad.

Fair enough.

Apple integrates good with Apple, everything else it might has problems with.
Virus and Spyware is not really a problem for me on my Windows system either, but I’m spending a lot of time removing Virus from Windows systems for other people, because people that just click on anything and everything and don’t have protection or even when the AntiVirus software tells them this will harm your computer – they click on it…… nuts.

Even Apple users started to come these days – which is even more retarded – since they need to actually type in a password for spyware & virus to root – and yes, people are that stupid.

I currently own an Android tablet, it works fine for the limited stuff I do with it – watch movies on holidays and browsing the net. I can use my USB stick, SD card or just plug it into my PC via USB and can copy files back and forward.

I get the same probs with my iPod 4,again it’s Safari and I’ve lost count of the times I’ve typed something out and as I’m nearly finished it crashes,it’s worse if it’s a long letter.

So you meant you don’t like the other methods - got it. I can relate to that.

Uploading approximately 8GB with an upload speed of 1024Kbits/s to Dropbox just takes to long, unless you want to invest in an adapter for €19, just to plug in a USB device.

Typical Apple user, they like to suck it up to Apple and make excuses for their shitty over priced products.

No, there is too much. Please sum up.

So ipads 1 and 2, all iphones, all itouches… basically just everything but the ipad 3? wtf, apple?

(i have the iphone 5 and yeah… it reloads).

I have an iPhone 5 and, although admittedly I’m not a heavy Mobile Safari user, I’ve noticed almost no reloading like that complained of here. I routinely hop between multiple tabs without any issue (and I did the same thing on an iPhone 4). Can’t recall any automatic reloading that wasn’t for a tab I hadn’t visited in days or longer. Really, my only issue with Mobile Safari is the hard 8-tab limit, which when reached means that my oldest tab will be silently overwritten the next time it wants to open something new.

That alone is frustrating enough that I’ve switched to Chrome for some mobile browsing. Luckily I also haven’t noticed the JIT-related slowdowns mentioned here, which should only be meaningful for JavaScript-heavy sites. It should not usually affect, say, tapping on a link.

The real issue, unfortunately, is that the original iPad is (1) quite old hardware relative to the pace of improvements in its space, and (2) abandoned WRT software updates. If you think these problems uniquely affect Apple products then I’ve got a bridge to sell you. Or an Android device whose manufacturer has decreed will not be updated beyond the version it shipped with. Whichever. (The first person to tell me you could root such devices will be punished by having to explain said process to my mother.)