Same Actor Plays the Same Role in the Remake

Reading the current Thread about the 2010 remake of the 2007 film Death at a Funeral, it was brought to my attention that Peter Dinklage plays the same role in both films.

I immediately thought of Penélope Cruz playing the same role in 1997’s Abre Los Ojos and in the 2001 remake Vanilla Sky.

Other examples?
Same actor plays the same role in the remake?

I’ll exclude examples of feature length remakes of short films (Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade/Sling Blade)- just 'cause it’s my OP and I can exclude things. Ha! Take that, SDMB!

In exactly the same way as Miss Cruz, playing the same part in the English language remake:

Gérard Depardieu
Mon père, ce héros
My Father the Hero

Well Gary Burkoff played Radar both in the original movie MAS*H the TV series.

Not exactly a remake, but rather a reboot: Judi Dench in the recent James Bond movies.

Speaking of reboots, I was wondering if Leonard Nimoy playing Spock in the latest Star Trek movie would count.

Not in films, but there were some Broadway revivals that used original stars: Annie Get Your Gun (Ethel Merman), and The King and I (Yul Brynner – twice), Hello Dolly (Carol Channing – also twice)

Well, Charlie Brill played Arne Darvin in the Star Trek:TOS episode “The Trouble With Tribbles.” He then played the same character 30 years later in the Star Trek:DS9 episode “Trials and Tribble-ations.”

Honorable mention goes to Michael Caine, who appeared in both film versions of Sleuth, but as two different major characters in each (not just a cameo, which often happens).

Clark Gable—Red Dust in 1932 and Mogambo in 1953. With Jean Harlow the first time and Ava Gardner the second time. Nice jobs if you can get them.

Peter Cullen played Optimus Prime in “Transformers” in 1986 and again in 2007, though I suppose the second movie was not really a remake of the first.

And Ingrid Bergman in both Intermezzos. 1936, original Swedish version and 1939, w/Leslie Howard (wow, is that really her playing?! Great faker if not).

Speaking of the awesome Leslie Howard, there’s his Scarlet Pimpernel, from 1936, and the 1941 version, Pimpernel Smith, which updates the story to WWII.

James Stewart was in at least two versions of Harvey. 1950 and 1972 (TV).

The pilot episode of Forever Knight (1992) was a remake of a 1989 TV movie called Nick Knight. John Kapelos played Detective Donald Schanke in both versions.

I know, I know, it’s not an official remake, but to many it feels like one (we had an entire thread on this a couple of months ago).

John Wayne - Rio Bravo 1959 and El Dorado 1966.

Liz Smith as Mrs. Dilber in 1984’s A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott) and again in the 1999 version (with Patrick Stewart).

Sean Connery in Thunderball and Never Say Never Again.

Alan Hale Sr played “Little John” in the 1922 version of “Robin Hood” starring Douglas Fairbanks and the 1938 “Adventures of Robin Hood” starring Errol Flynn.

This was technically not a remake, but Richard Roundtree played John Shaft in the 2000 movie “Shaft”. Samuel L. Jackson was Roundtree’s namesake nephew in that picture.

Also technically not a remake, Harry Morgan played Bill Gannon in 1987s “Dragnet”, which starred Dan Aykroyd as Joe Friday’s nephew. Gannon was the original Friday’s partner in the 1967 TV series.

Patrick Stewart played King Claudius in the Derek Jacobi Hamlet in 1980, and again in the David Tennant Hamlet in 2008/2009.