San Jose (CA) Dopers, what to do?

I’m going to go to both, does that make me awesome? :smiley:

Is this true? I’m sorry, but I refuse to attend ANY event with one of those things. Please advise so I can update my calendar. :smiley:

Agree 100%.

what the fuck!

Gombei Restaurant in Yelp. Says they only take cash - will that be a problem, Bobo? I’m fine with this, as I didn’t have my heart set on sushi, but you might want to try something new so it’s up to you.

Ah, it also says not so good for groups. How many are coming?

By a quick review of the thread, I come up with a total of 8:

Bobotheoptimist
garygnu
Cowgirl Jules
Voyager
blondebear
Dunawake
Jahdra
teela brown

Anyone I missed or added and isn’t coming?

Yes, it’s not the world’s biggest restaurant. It’s also rather down-homey, rather than an exciting club scene kind of place.

Well, I’m not a club scene kind of person, so that’s fine by me, but Bobo’s the guest of honor.

It would be weird if we were all seated at the bar, or in three different booths or something.

My suggestions
Sushi Boat Kazoo - it’s a local chain and the original in in Japantown on Jackson. I’ve never, ever had a bad time at Kazoo, and the sushi’s excellent.
Tsugaru - Every review I’ve seen for this place gives high praise. Also on Jackson, practically next door.

I don’t know how these do with semi-large groups, so I’ll have to find out.

Gombei is cool with me. I used to go to Kazoo when a guy who used to work for me flew in for a conference, but a really good place opened up in Fremont a few blocks from me, so I don’t get down to Japantown any more.

I’ve been to the first Dopefest in SF, which was fine, but it’s time for one in the Valley.

Either Monday or Tuesday is okay for me. I put it on my calendar, but we’ll need to bump this thread closer to the time.

Looks like the trip is a go. I’ll be there Sunday evening through Thursday morning, so Mon, Tue, or Wed would be fine with me.

I’ll be at the Doubletree on Gateway Place if anyone wants to stop by for a refreshing beverage on the non-Dopefest evening, although I am going to try for the Tech Museum one evening.

Great!

I have the evening off from the kids and the job on Monday. Want me to swing by and pick you up? You can navigate; I get lost in cities anyway.

Since I was in San Fransisco for almost 2 days back in 1986, I feel totally qualified to navigate in San Jose.
It’s a date. I assume Doubletree has some kind of internet access so I can pick up directions ‘n’ stuff when I get there. Do we have any idea what time will work for everyone? I honestly don’t know when I’ll get out, but based on previous training experiences, I suspect it’ll be done by 5:30

Can anyone not make Japantown by 6:30?
Have we decided on a restaurant?

Just a note, there’s a decent sushi bar in that Double Tree, but it’s very, very expensive.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t be able to, but since i seem to have the day off, I can. What do you all say to meeting at Bobo’s hotel and carpoling/convoying down to Japantown? We could then pick a place at whim.

did it happen?
Was it lots of fun that I missed? :frowning:
All the details please…

HillKat - Mon, Nov 12th is (I think) the date planned, so you’ve net yet missed it.

Has anyone decided on a destination? There was some concern that Gombei might not work so well for a crowd, I think. And they only take cash. It’s been a while since I saw cash, but I could probably find some if I tried hard enough.

Duhhh…don’t know why I thought it was this past weekend, but I did. Guess I better work on that reading comprehension.
Thanks for setting me straight Bobotheoptimist.

This sounds like the best idea to me, since people seem terminally indecisive. :stuck_out_tongue: