Sappy Question about Texas Live Oaks - tree experts invited to answer

If you are not familiar with the live oak, it is a very special tree. Instead of losing all its leaves and then growing new ones in the spring, it keeps its foliage until the new leaves push the old ones off (sort of like kids’ teeth). In the spring, when the leaves start coming off, the tree starts throwing off a fine spray of sap from the resulting openings, which makes it inadvisable to park under one unless you don’t care about having a sticky car.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me when the live oak over my parking space is likely to stop drooling finely misted sap all over my defenseless little car, Ginger. I want to know if there’s any point in washing Ginger anytime soon. or if I should just keep washing the windows every time I fill up.

All I know about it was what I heard in the film JFK. Kevin Costner points to a tall tree in front of the School Book Depository and says, “Thet thar’s a Texas lahve oak. It’s still fulla leaves in Novembuh.” His point was that the leaves obscured the view down Elm Street from the Depository 6th floor window. Even though you coulda had a clear shot up Houston Street, before Kennedy’s motorcade turned from Houston onto Elm.

I am not a tree expert, but my experience is that all trees drip sap in the spring. Maple trees drip dilute maple syrup.