Sappy Songs You Turn (Punch) Off Instantly

Yeah, most of their post-“Angel” power ballads are big dripping whorish crap fests. Hard to believe they’re the same dudes who wrote “Walk This Way.”

There’s another country-ish groaner that goes something “Every little thing that you do, I’m so in love with you, it just keeps getting better, forever and ever…” All they have to do is rhyme “girl” with “world” to keep packing in the tired cliches.

Alan Jackson’s tooth-decaying “Live Life Like You Were Dying” is a recent horror. It reads like those sacchariney e-mail forwards, only worse due to that Nashville studio gloss.

Anything by Bread.

“‘Seasons in the Sun’ is a song about someone who’s dying, but not fast enough.” – Dave Barry
My choice:

“Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone” by Bill Withers.
When he gets to the twenty repetitions of “I know”, I want to hit the radio, 'cause it’s stuck.

That remake by Pearl Jam of “Last Kiss”, about some guy whose girlfriend dies in a car accident they got into. The chorus is:
“Oh where, oh where, can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She’s gone to heaven, so I’ve got to be good,
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.”

I don’t care if they did it to be “ironic,” or to inflict pain upon us all, or what - I loathe this song.

To be fair, it’s a cover of an overwrought, melodramatic song from the '60s (I think the '60s), when teenage love-and-death ballads were all the rage. I’m not sure how seriously Pearl Jam took it, or if they tried to turn the irony up to eleven.

Christ, we’re this far into the thread and no one has mentioned The Wind Beneath My Wings? And I’d like to pit those idiots who play this song at their weddings. Newsflash, dumbasses: you’re NOT the first ones to think this sonic hemorrhage would be the perfect theme for your nuptials.

Aargh how could you mention that, my eyes my eyes. Must beat head against wall to end the mystery and blast Kashmir to cleanse by musical soul

What, you guys love Ebony and Ivory? No one’s mentioned it yet.

Say it ain’t so, or the terrorists have truly won.

Tears in Heaven. Blech.

Yep. Written by Wayne Cochran in 1962, and a hit for J Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers two years later.

Seeker74: Are you thinking of REO Speedwagon’s Keep On Lovin’ You?

True this song sucks wet goat ass, and true Aerosmith has made some serious bombs.

However that song was written by glurgemeister supreme Dianne Warren, not the aerosmith bunch, they just sang/played it as written.

I was thinking it had to be Can’t Fight This Feeling.

Voodoo Lou, I fully plan on informing the band/DJ at my possible future wedding that they do not get paid if there is any line-dancing, chicken-dancing, or YMCA. Bless you.

“Honey” by Bobby Goldsboro (I think):

See the tree, how big it’s grown,
but friends, it hasn’t been too long
it wasn’t bit…

And Honey, I miss you and I’m being good,
And I long to be with you, if only I could.
<runs from computer retching uncontrollably>

I like a lot of the songs here too, and I like Dolly Parton (who wrote the damn thing) singing I Will Always Love You.

The radio in hubby’s pickup won’t play anything but new country :slight_smile: but even he turns it off when they start to play any of the story songs of the last 15 years or so.

The exception is the one about the couple in the nursing home (“Where’s you been?”. We turn that off because he can’t drive while he’s crying.

Of course I meant “Where’ve you been?” Sheesh. :smack:

The sad part is Bobby had Honey wacked because the bitch wouldn’t stop crying in the middle of the day for no damned good reason.

“Free Bird”
“From a Distance”
“I’ve Never Been to Me”

Sorry Mal Adroit, I opened this thread with just that song in mind. You see, Mal and Leaffan my friends, me and God hate watchin’ Scotty Grow.*
*the song, that is. The kid is probably done his growing and is on a walker by now.

I can’t stand that duet between Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow. I always tune to a different station until that song is over.